The Wife

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by keith tookey, Sep 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. keith tookey

keith tookey Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Brighton
    Afternoon all
    Looking for some recommendations on a bike tourers/cruisers that the wife will happy sit on rather then perching 1 arse cheek on the Daytona
    Got to be comfortable and big enough for her backside for a good few hours
    (This will get me in trouble)
    Thanks in advance
    Be safe

CEC94E49-53B5-4D0B-9FC2-C4A4F7C8A52A.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    FJR, Pan & BMW R1200RT all good comfortable tourers for 2 up travel

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: A bike each? :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Triumph America. Me n' the missus did Scotland (750 miles/3 days) and Ireland (800miles/5days) easily 2 up on the America. Actually found it roomier than the Thunderbird, which was tried and rejected by the gaffer. Neither of us are on the small side (I like a bit of meat on 'em), and we were fine. Get a sisy bar, panniers and a roll bag on the parcel shelf and your set.
    200 miles to a tank so that's you set for most of a day. Shall be getting another one, unless Triumph can actually build a 1200 with space for 2.

Edit: My missus has two slipped disc's, so can't sling her leg over a big tourer, so cruiser is the only way we can tour. Sits on the bike, then shuffles back. America is low enough for her to do that.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sorry but we all know a Daytona looks like...... we needed to see the foot not the shoe!

OK I’m leaving quietly.......

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Here you go.

1022233797_abf132e176_z.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. keith tookey

keith tookey Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Brighton
    My bad of course u know what the Daytona looks like
    Here is what I need to accommodate lol

6A05B971-57B8-4CE3-93C9-FB098DA6D0E3.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    If you really want to make her happy, there's only one choice (photo below). My wife never would ride pillion with me - lack of control and my bad riding habits. She actually loves riding in the sidecar. She has a comfortable seat, drink holder, ash tray, lighter, trunk for the purse, and a windscreen. Try it - you'll like it :)

Sidecar_Wheel_060816.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    My wife would beat you with a stick .. To keep you away .. If you even suggested she travel in a side car ! She didn't much like pillioning on my 1942 BSA M20 as it was Too Low made her uncomfortable , the ridgid back end didn't help much either ! The Sense of speed (actual) increases the closer to the ground you get ! Some some wouldn't feel safe that low down ! It's horses for courses ! My 1983 Laverda RGS 1000 was very tall and She loved how SAFE she felt on it !

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Maybe, but just think how much fun you can have by giving her a bad Sena unit on her helmet. ;) She's always yelling "You Bastard" and just like in the movie 'The Great Outdoors,' I yell back "Oh - you want to go faster?" I even put the side view mirror on the car, so she could see traffic behind us - proof that I had to do at least the speed limit. The truth is that, except for a good highway, you rarely speed much on a hack. Even then, I never get above 65 mph on this thing - at least not with her in it. :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Zoso

Zoso Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Scotland
    The most comfortable tourer I've ever ridden was a Honda Goldwing GL1500. Covered hundreds of miles with no effort, no complaints from the pillion - and she complains a lot :eek: Loads of storage space for all your gear - we had enough for a week away easily. Only downside is the handling - nightmare of a bike at slow speeds with a pillion and full of luggage. I currently have a Thunderbird 1600 and she's not complained about that - it's got the long haul seat.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    My wife loves the seating position of a GSX1400. Real comfortable and gutsy engine.

• Like Like x 2
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Keith.
    Think I would go with the Sprint. Fantastic bike for touring and fast enough for the sports tourer. My other loved my sprint I had put a Hagon Touring shock and had a seat designed by a chap of eBay. Bike just got to fast for me. But really you and the Wife really have to test a few.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  14. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
  15. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #15 Col_C, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    I assume you actually like the Daytona (and sports bikes in general), so I would suggest the SprintST 1050 would be the closest to what you have and still meet with SWMBO's posterior requirements, go for one 2008 or later as it was very well sorted by then. I had one for 5 years and my SWMBO was happy touring Europe for 3 weeks each year on it, and is still relatively "sporty" when riding solo (but still noticeably heavier than your current ride!).
    If you want even more tourey then the later GT version gets more comfy with longer swingarm, bigger luggage etc. but for me lost something visually, no longer stirred the juices. Tiger Sport is another possibility if you want to stick with Triumph and don't want to go the "Adventure" route.
    If you're happy with non Triumphs you're spoilt for choice as previous posts have suggested.

BUT!.......the most important thing is to decide what TYPE of bike you'll be happy with and what you intend doing with it, for a while I went too far in the tourer direction and found whilst it (Multistrada) was great for 3 weeks of the year when touring it didn't really do it for me the rest of the year.

(Now riding a Speed Triple and SWMBO has her own seat on her Street Triple)

• Like Like x 3
  16. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Fazer 1000 or a Busa :D