The Noob On A Trospeed

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by RazMan, Jan 8, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RazMan

RazMan Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2022
    Christchurch, UK
    Hi Guys, I am delighted to say that I am returning to biking after a couple of decades' break (building kit cars) but I am coming back to the biking fold with something a bit different. I have always customised just about everything I ride/drive to make it 'mine' and I often try to think 'out of the box' to achieve my dream build.
    Having just finished a Yamaha Bobber which started life as a 30 year old XV750 barn find, I have now managed to nab a 1996 Trophy 1200 which will get my attention in the coming months. Having bought it blind for just a few hundred quid on eBay as a non-runner with no history etc, it is a complete gamble but I am hoping it will be a fun project.
    I got it home via courier and immediately tore off the scruffy plastics to get to the real hardware. Electrically it is completely dead but with a 12v jump the engine turns over on the starter but no spark. It appears to have good compression so it looks hopeful.

Now I come to my 'Doctor Frankenstein' intentions. I am going to try to create a hybrid, using the Trophy as a basis and grafting on some Speedmaster goodies, making a 'Trospeed'. - a more laid back riding position but still with all the horses of the 1200 on tap.
    I have already ordered a seat and rear fender from a 2018 Speedy so its a good start. I will have to cut most of the subframe off and make a new one to accommodate the new gear but I am happy to get the grinder / welder out and see what happens.

Anyway, that's me and my first post on this wonderful forum. I would be interested in any advice or comments now and during my build in the coming months. Oh and if anyone needs any plastics for a Trophy, I am your man!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Welcome to the forum
    Do you take pictures as you make progress ?
    It would be really interesting to see

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Hello and welcome! (So long as Dr Frankenstein stays clear of my 2018 Speedmaster ;))

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Hi RazMan. Welcome to the forum and, more importantly, welcome back to bikes! The project sounds interesting! I've got no engineering skills whatsoever (sadly) but, or perhaps because of that, I'm always interested in seeing the work other people are doing. I hope you'll keep us posted with updates and pics as you go.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    #6 Geoff Butler, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Hi RazMan,

Welcome, great intro and I love a good project.

The Trophy makes a nice Cafe Racer IMHO. :cool:

Cheers

Geoff

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    RazMan
    Welcome to the family. great project can't wait to see what you do with it. Yes do the rebuild in the projects and restorations section and hit the upload a file button bottom and enclose pictures then we can take the journey with you.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, good introduction :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Ey up from Yorkshire, sounds a good project idea and I’d like to see pics even if it’s currently a shed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hello and welcome :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings, @RazMan, welcome to the forum, and welcome back to bikes. Your project certainly does sound interesting. As others have said, we'd love to see photos of your project along the way. Hope you enjoy the forum!
    TTF welcome.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi RazMan :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #13 sprintdave, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Hiya RazMan and welcome in.
    We love watching projects grow in this forum, if you post in builds and projects section I'm sure you will get plenty of views and ideas etc. Not everyone looks in newbie section.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Razman and welcome to the forum :cool: great introduction and looking forward to seeing your Trospeed progress :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RazMan

RazMan Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2022
    Christchurch, UK
    Thanks for the welcome guys - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :cool:;)
    I will get some pictures together and start a thread in the projects section as suggested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello RazMan.

gump (1).gif

• Like Like x 1
  17. RazMan

RazMan Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2022
    Christchurch, UK