The Joys Of Planning An Overseas Trip

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HughJarse, Dec 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    Winter can be a bit of a bore if you're a fair weather biker like me.
    I love my bike but I prefer my car when it's cold/wet/dark/icy/snowy etc. therefore my bike tends not to move much between October and February or March.
    So ... what am I to do during these non-biking months?
    Next year a group of us (8 so far) will be riding to Assen for the MotoGP at the end of June. We have just block purchased our race day tickets and ferry crossings and even though most will be returning home the next day myself and possibly one other will be taking an extra 12 days and heading down into Germany and Switzerland and circling Lake Constance before heading for home thru France.
    I haven't toured in Europe for a few years and I am already counting the days and thinking about what I need to add to my equipment. In all fairness it won't be much as I am fairly well kitted out but I get a buzz just from mulling it all over in my head. I need to get a new set of tyres and a couple of maintenance jobs done on the bike but apart from that I should be fine as long as I am still breathing on the departure date.
    For me there is always a special feeling getting onto a ferry with a bike. You know that you're embarking on a journey and an adventure. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. HughJarse

May 8, 2017
    Same with me. Two ferries and a bit in between unless you go direct to France from Dublin, Rosslare or Cork. This trip is handier if I go Belfast - Cairnryan then Newcastle - Ijmuiden.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Completely agree with that. It's the demarcation of another country, another currency and language - another adventure. Who will I meet along the way ?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    If a ferry trip is a good start for your adventure then I can recommend the isle of Lewis especially if lucky with the weather.

Honda cb1000r taken in 2016

IMAG2113.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Yes I'd love to do the Outer Hebrides. Thought about doing it with the Missus in the car but just never got round to it. Those island hopper tickets look a good buy. Would love to do it on the bike in warm sunny weather though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yep, totally get what you're on about, rolling onto a ferry looking forward to different roads, language & food, all makes it that bit more of an adventure than doing a road trip back home.
    I have done a few Euro trips over the years, my favourite without doubt was Northern Spain and Andorra this year.
    I have also loved Germany, down near Bernkastel which was near enough to get to the Nurburgring to have a play & was a good trip, also did one to the French Alps, stayed at a ski lodge in Samoens which was cheap as chips in the summer, and only a short ride into Switzerland and Italy which we did. I have done most of these trips on either sports bikes or naked bikes and loved them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Anyone remember a Ms Koo Stark?

This was the location for one of her "acting" roles.

IMAG2108.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Nice pic!

9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Isle of Lewis is in 2 halves so to speak especially if you include the attached Isle of Harris.
    North is flat but has fences for sheep so progress can be, errm, swift.
    South is hilly with good bends and views but no fences. You've heard of "sleeping policemen" well the Scottish employ "sheeping policemen" lol. One minute your doing three figure sweepers (with camping gear on :heart_eyes:) next minute two or three sheep pull you down to a wary 30 mph as they wander across :no_mouth::D

The roads are good, very good, and very grippy, make sure your tyres have more life left than a normal mileage calculation!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Never been on a ferry with my bike. Have been on the train tough, freaking me out leaving it to the guys who tied it down. Anyway, nice trip ahead! Besides Assen, you’ll enjoy Germany, Switzerland and france! Beware of speed cameras in Switzerland! VERY, VERY expensive !! (Trust me.. my colleague was caught doing 86 in a 50 zone, cost: € 1,200.-)

But hey, driving in the mountains is awesome! I remember driving from Luzern to Interlaken, staying off highway 8 :blush: :cool: You’ll love it!!

11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Through the arch in the corner is a "honesty shop".
    Ice creams ( it was a hot day), venison sausages as they looked yummy and a book on the history of the Amundsieghe (spelling?) Estate. £20 well spent.
    Cracking selection of all sorts of wares. This road is a dead end of around 15 miles or so and ends at the beach where the other pic was taken.
    What a lovely place.... highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HughJarse

May 8, 2017
    Thanks Eldon
    I have toured France and Germany on 2 wheels half a dozen times or more and their out of town roads are outstanding. We will be doing the entire trip away from motorways to really experience the best of the towns and villages. We won't be in any hurry, the total is approx. 1300 miles (after Assen) and we have 12 days to do it. We'll have a few days where we won't be on the bikes at all. We could do it in 4 days but where's the pleasure in that??? Better to see and enjoy places instead of whizzing past them all and only seeing the signposts. Switzerland is a very small part of the journey but point taken about their speed enforcement :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Good point about not riding EVERY day otherwise it's like any other job.

14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I don't know if it still applies, but there used to be a requirement at the Swiss border to buy a vignette (short-term road tax) to use Swiss roads. Might be worth checking out if this still applies.

15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Planning for any trip is always enjoyable. Picking your routes, hotels and how long to stay on the bike each day is great fun. Then there is the anticipation of the pending trip and what lays ahead. It does not get anyt better, well yes it does; riding the trip.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My Hebridean cousins once explained to me..... Amhuinnsuidhe......pronounced approximately Aven-Sue-ya. Mh in Gaelic is a ‘v’ sound. Abhainn means river and all those English river Avons are probably the ‘river river’ from the original Brythonic (Briton Welsh) name. Suidhe means ‘sitting’ which makes more sense when you see the way the river descends to the sea like a banked tier of seats.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Yes it does. You can buy one in advance from the Swiss something or other office in London (online), they expire January the following year. I think they are about £30.

18. HughJarse

May 8, 2017
    The vignette is only required if you are using Swiss motorways. As stated earlier we will be avoiding motorways so no vignette needed.
    For those of you who may be planning to use motorways in Switzerland, you can buy them locally at post offices, petrol stations and a lot of other outlets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    The last time I rode in Switzerland you only needed a vignette if you use their motorways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I normally put that on me salad o_O:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  21. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Not done it for a good few years now, but the road from Hutton - le - Hole to Egton Bridge via Rosedale Abbey (and Chimney Bank .... wheeeee .... oh shit!:scream::poop:) used to be full of kamikazee sheep:eek::scream:. Probably still is. Roll on summer ... I might get to find out.
    We used to go that way from York (or latterly Pontefract) to Grosmont when visiting the North Yorks Moors Railway. Been a while since I lived in York!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1