Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured Touring The Island

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Smilinjack, Apr 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Feck Leo di Caprio, l'm Douglas bound again. The bike is fastened down with lsle of Man Steam Packet's finest rope :scream: and l got a nice seat looking out the front window. On the catamaran so only a two hour crossing. Decent looking forecast, might have a zoom to Ramsey or the Mountain later. I did set off a speed camera on the way to Heysham though. Still, nobody's dead eh? :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    #2 Smilinjack, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Ferry was pretty quiet. Two other bikes although the BSA was on a trailer. Sensible man. And this

20180428_135441.jpg

Mountain road is closed today, so l thought, seeing as l went to the southern end last time, l'd go north to Point of Ayre. A few bikes there but the first chap l spoke to as l pulled up next to his BMW looked at me like l'd just told him l'd shagged his sister while his mum watched, so feckit, like.

20180428_163625.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    View from work. Seacat just on it's way in. The Manx Riviera mate.

20180429_135049.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  4. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    #4 Smilinjack, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Well, it's been a blinding couple of days. Had a belt over the Mountain yesterday after work, surprisingly quiet. Could see Scotland and Cumbria across the water as l rolled into Ramsey. Then tonight tried the Mountain again but full of commuters so l nipped down Old Laxey but the cafe was shut- finished up cruising round the southern half of the island. This place is worth a visit outside of TT. Great riding, lots of funky old railways if that's your bag, scenic. Sorry not done very well on the pics front. This is Laxey Bay.

Well it would be if the hotel wifi didn't keep having a shit ....:rolleyes:

20180430_174114.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I plan to go back on the bike sometime, it'll either be for the manx/classic or some random time when there's no racing on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Try going in July when the Southern100 International race meet is on Andy
    Practice and races are run on the Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday evenings leaving you to do what ever you want during the day. Then a full day of racing on the Thursday.
    The island isn’t as busy as TT fortnight or as the Classic TT/MGP so it’s easier to get accommodation and cheaper.

If you want classic racing then the Southern100 Pre TT Classic Races start on the Friday evening before TT practice starts on the Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Did a few hundred yards of the Southern 100 circuit tonight on my way to Port Erin :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    On the way home. Decent trip- some good riding and made enough money. Great thing about ferry travel, always something interesting.

20180502_070525.jpg

A fecking handbuilt diesel. At least l think that's what he said. Used in all sorts- generators, concrete mixers, so a worldwide spares network. And the old Albion gearbox. He wasn't sure if still made in Scotland

20180502_070533.jpg
    :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    We haven't been for a couple of years, last was the Manx in 2016, but we're back next year for the TT again. I love the place and the TT really gets under my skin. We usually stay at The Falcons Nest in Port Erin, nice friendly place, right on the beach.

You're right about it being a great pkace to visit outside of TT too, beautiful island. I love it up at the Point of Ayre, to me it feels like you're on the edge of the world.

• Like Like x 1