The Horror - Top Case For Speed Triple

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fitz Brundage, May 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Gents and Ladies:
    Don't excommunicate me without cause. I will get my 2018 Speed Triple RS next week. I use my cycle =/- 300 days a year because it is my main means of transportation So a top case to stash the helmut and a few items is very handy. I readily concede they are ugly.but I prefer it to paneers.

So my question is with regards to the SW-Motech ALU-Rack. Has any one attached it to a Speed Triple? Are you satisfied with its fit and/or performance?

I will appreciate your suggestions and advice,
    Thanks

2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum! I can't answer your specific question, but I'm sure some of the other members will get to you soon.

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Welcome in fitz.
    I’m afraid it doesn’t look as though anyone’s brave enough to admit they’ve had dealings with that:phopwfully someone man enough will come along soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I figured the hounds of hell would be set loose on me. So silence is better than the alternative. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Less than £20! Shipping to the US will cost that much! How can they make money at that price point? Thanks for the suggestion.

7. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    Oh we will definitely get to you:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    As no-one seems to have had a Speed one...
    I had an SW Motech one on a Street Triple, well made and fitted well.
    I would probably think about fitting one to my Speed but the tail tidy means it won't fit.

9. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I had an SWMotech Alu Rack on my last GSX - fitted neatly to the grabrail bolts so there was no scaffolding around the rear end unlike some of the Givi mountings. If however you go for their Givi-compatible mounting plate for a Monokey box I found it did not hold the box very tightly and it rattled a lot. Fixed it with some sticky rubber pads to take up the slack so not too bad.

10. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    I have had SW Motech Alu racks on a couple of speed triples. I use the rack on my 2010 model, not for carrying a top box, but luggage just the same. I'm not sure of the carrying capacity on the later models but they don't recommend carrying very heavy loads. The racks for the early 1050 models (05-06) mounted directly off the rear of the frame with no extra support and they were inclined to break the rear subframe, close to the rack mounting points...so SW Motech put a 5 kg limit on the rack. The later racks were given extra support to the rear footpeg mounts, and should be capable of carrying much bigger loads, but they still quote a 5kg limit. My rack seems to be a very sturdy construction and I'm sure it would be OK with loads bigger than 5kg. I've just checked their website and they don't seem to quote a load limit on the later models.

11. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Humm. What about this. Very inexpensive and holds a helmet and much more!

0A20C25E-AC74-433E-BFC2-73274818B0CC.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  12. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I had an SW Motech rack on my Speed Triple 92012) and I thought it was well made and fitted well.
    I only used it for carrying extra luggage.

13. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    So I finally received a SW MOTECH Alu-rack (they were on backorder here in the States for a long time) and tried to fit it to my new Speed Triple RS. I don't claim to be a master mechanic but I have rudimentary skills and after several hours of tinkering I feel confident in saying that the Alu-Rack design does not fit the new Speed Triple. If anyone has mounted it please let me know how you did it. Otherwise, buyer beware. (What gets me is that I wrote SW MOTECH and asked whether the current Alu-Rack they offer for the Speed Triple would fit the RS and they responded that it would.)

14. Phil-osophy

Phil-osophy Member

May 7, 2018
    Hampshire
    Particularly useful for beer bottles when riding to a barbie!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    What stopped it fitting?
    I looked at one and it looked like the main problem would have been the indicators on the tail tidy would be in the way, but just wondering if there's other differences?

16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome Fitz.

No need to apologise buddy. Just remember to *photoshop the offending item out of any pictures you post ;)

*other photo editing software is available

17. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Here is my best effort to describe the fitment issue. There are two issues and I tried to resolve both of them with improvised solutions and then decided it is ridiculous to re-engineer an accessory that should fit the bike without Rube Goldberg solutions.

First, the "Mounting angle" that is attached under the pillon has two important fitment issues. It cannot seat properly because the angle hits against a plastic assembly that holds the UBS port and the pillon latch. I figure I could solve this problem by cutting out assembly to make space for the angle. I used a Dremel tool and starting cutting out a 2" x 4" rectangle from the rear of the assembly. But before I completed the cutting I decided to see if I could assemble the rack with the plastic underseat assembly temporarily removed. I quickly realized that the mounting angle does not reach the bottom of the underseat tray. There is a +/- 1 inch gap between the bottom of the angle and the tray. I thought I might be able to rig some spacers so I proceeded to mount the angle and to drill the holes for the mounting screws to extend down from the mounting angle to the mounting struts.

Second, I then realized that the mounting screws would need to be longer to reach from the angle (suspended +/- 1 inch above the underseat tray) all the way through the spacers under the underseat tray to the strut. My guess is that with longer screws the fitment would still be problematic because the angle of the screws would be different from the intended fitment.

Botton line is that the fitment should be essentially "plug and play" with the exception of drilling two holes. I regret to report drilling those two holes is the least of it!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. guciopg

guciopg New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Polska
    Alu-rack Sw-Motech for Speed Triple R/S fit to Speed Triple RS :)

WP_20180709_004.jpg

WP_20180715_004.jpg

WP_20180715_005.jpg

19. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I wish I could get mine to fit! I can only assume
    guciopg received a different mounting angle than I did. I am including some photos to demonstrate the problem. It's hard to photograph the problem because it is in the well of the underseat space. In any case, I hope you can see that the mounting angle cannot not seat properly because it hits the USB/pillon latch assembly. But even if it is seated there is a gap of an inch between the angle and the underseat tray.

upload_2018-7-30_16-9-42.jpeg

Photo A is of the mounting angle resting in the available space. It can't seat properly because the mounting angle (on the left of the photo) hits the USB assembly.

upload_2018-7-30_16-11-46.jpeg

Photo B is lit so as to show the contact in the underseat well. You can also see that even if it did seat fully there is a substantial gap between the angle and the undertray.

The folks at SW-Motech said the fitment should work,but the folks at Twisted Throttle wrote today and said that it would not fit the new speed Triple.

I jus wish i knew what kit guciopg has.

20. guciopg

guciopg New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Polska
    You're right, this part does not fit.The rest are ok.

WP_20180709_004.jpg I've done it myself.
    I received a message from SW-Motech PL that the Alu-rack for Speed Triple RS will be available at the end of the year.