The Ethanol Question (again). Definitive Answers.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Oct 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Many people are still confused about the ethanol issue. There has been a mountain of information, misinformation, propaganda and basic mistakes from the various forms of media (including this forum). A lot of it is unsubstantiated speculation with little in the way of supportive data. Some people aren't at all bothered, while others are worried, particularly owners of older bikes with carbs.

The November issue of Classic Motorcycle Mechanics has a 6 page article about this, written by someone who runs several older bikes, cares about this issue and has done some proper research. This includes comments from some of the actual petrol manufacturers. I have no intention of going through the article but it makes very interesting reading and has some solid advice for anyone who has concerns. So buy the mag and read all about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Next time i'm in a supermarket I might just read that article.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Don't wait too long, they'll be flying off the shelves!

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Can we have somebody buy a copy and pass it around. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Helpful to know what the propaganda is and what is fact.

If you are concerned about storing E10 then the manufacturers and motoring organisations suggest the shelf life of high ethanol fuels is lower then purer fuels. Apparently it’s about three months as the ethanol oxidises.

Not sure what the other problems are that are being discussed as I haven’t read the article.