The Cornish Pixie Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Julian Wallis, Jun 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Julian Wallis

Julian Wallis THE CORNISH PIXIE

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    I have leaking front fork seals, only problem is never changed them before, can I replace them without removing the front forks completely?if I remove the wheel can I slide the fork tubes downwards and remove seals from there. HELP!!!

2. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I suppose in theory you could do it like that but it would be messy and awkward. Not sure if you could get enough height on the front end to be able to remove the fork leg. Easier just to take the fork out.

3. Julian Wallis

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    Thanks LINX, it's pissing me off because it has the slightest weep on one of the seals and I want to get out on the road! and I know I should do it.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
  5. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    #5 Baza, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    I have seen a scraper, if that’s what you call them made from a piece cut out of a milk bottle and slid under the seals and then rotated around the fork stanchion. It may be just a piece of debris trapped in there. Worth a try before getting the spanner’s out.

Have a look at this video.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Julian Wallis

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    That is so cool! going to look through the re-cycling bag now and trying this out! cheers Baza;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bloodknot

Bloodknot New Member

Jan 18, 2022
    Buckinghamshire
    Please let us know how you get on.

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Julian, personally I would remove the forks and replace the seals, this allows you to thoroughly clean the inside tubes, springs etc, then use new correct spec oil, your forks will perform like new, it's just not worth attempting any shortcuts, the forks take a lot of punishment, even on a single ride out, imagine how many times they compress by road undulations and braking, the last thing you need is fork oil leaking (or misting) onto tyres and brakes, shortcuts are a recipe for disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Shortcuts were invented by Tradesmen !! The manual isn't always %100% , I did jobs in the Army , Tank Engine Swap Outs , manual stated one man 12+ hrs , two 8+ hrs. In the field no fixed lighting! 6+ hrs four tradies in shifts!!
    I've done similar short cutting on fork seals , on all my bike's. Did a hundred thousand miles on a '94' Trident, still had original fork seals and dust boot's. Reason, regularly cleaned with thin rags pushed in between seal and stantion/leg and walked around with a scribe or small flat tip , all very carefully Of course!!!
    Difference between a tradesmen and an amateur , how well you use A tool !?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #10 Iceman, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    I have lost count of the number of Court reports I have written as a result of "shortcuts", not only mechanical, a number of people did manage free accommodation and meals at her Majesties pleasure though, thankfully a lot don't lead to tragic consequences. At the end of the day it's an individual choice on what we do, personally for me shortcuts regarding safety is not worth the risk, there are an awful lot of very talented people on the forum, their work is second to none, a lot are very innovative and I marvel at what they achieve, I may be wrong but I doubt many would place their safety (and other's) at risk by way of shortcuts regarding safety. In the UK the BBC televised a programme titled the Speedshop, ex Special Boat Service veteran, Titch Cormack along with a small group of ex forces guys, creates unique builds, he recounts the feelgood stories, and has had adventures we all would love to experience. During all his projects I watched I never saw any shortcuts on safety, he is self taught, with an exceptionally "can do attitude", I totally agree there are ways around what a "workshop manual" may prescribe for completing tasks, that's not an issue at all, it is the safety shortcuts that should be avoided. Below is a link to the "Speedshop" article. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2020/january/speedshop-tv-show/

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    On any machinery - vehicle or other - there's a safe right way to repair and a wrong bodge way. This is my opinion and may not reflect the opinions of the many..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I think we are looking at two different issues here. The symptoms are that “it has the slightest weep on one of the seals”.

This could be either the seal is damaged and needs replacing or there is some entrapped debris that is not letting the seal seat and therefore work properly.

With emphasis on the word “slightest” is it not logical to approach the problem in a systematic way by ensuring that there is no trapped debri preventing the seals doing their job before going into Jonesey mode and stripping the forks to replace the seals which may or may not be requiring replacement?

13. Julian Wallis

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    Thanks chaps for your input, the trouble is at the MOT stage which is where I am at the moment, if a tester spots even a trace of wetness on the chrome surfaces he goes into failed mode which of course is his job but nine times out of ten it is debris trapped in the seal allowing a weep of fluid. I keep my seals in good nick because as the bike dives into a corner at speed dampening is vital to allow the front tyre grip so it becomes a safety issue.
    As we all know most of us are not fair weather bikers so muck and shit does get on the forks surfaces and with movement of the forks, crap will travel through the seal boundary and compromise it's existence.

At the moment I have the front wheel off and I am re-spraying the front wheel and reconditioning the callipers so I just as well look at the forks and their weepy seals even though they look brand new!

• Like Like x 2