The Can't Be Right? (part Missing?)..... Maybe Not.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by David_RS, Oct 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David_RS

David_RS Well-Known Member

May 7, 2019
    Singapore
    Hello All,

Just been messing with the RS, and finally got around to fitting my Evotech tail tidy.... which looks awesome.

Whilst I was looking closely at the bike, I noticed this....

This is the rear fixing of my fuel tank, where it hinges up, and looks like a nut (and maybe a washer) has disappeared.

My bike was in the shop the other week, so I my initial guess was that the part wasn't refitted properly. However, I have just looked on Fowlers website to try and get the part numbers, and I can't see anything that would go on the end of the threaded portion that sticks out of the fuel tank mounting.

Can anyone offer a pic of what it should look like?

Have I lost something? I can't believe I haven't noticed it before if it is supposed to be like that, but then, maybe I have...

Thanks for your help.

IMG_0992.jpeg

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 21.25.24.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Its part 10 isn't it.
    I am absolutely confident there should be a washer and nut on that thread. Nothing done up tight, but it would stop the pin loosening and causing the tank mounting to come away.

Take a look around your garage for a spare nut and washer that would do the job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. David_RS

May 7, 2019
    Singapore
    Apologies for the bad photo - Yes, the thread you can see is the end of part 10.

I have looked around the space where I always park, but think it probably went missing at the dealership. :weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David_RS

May 7, 2019
    Singapore
    I am planning to head to the dealer tomorrow.

If anyone has a pic (or can take one for me) so I can show what it should look like, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    On the Street Triple there is no nut, the bolt (part 10) just threads into the frame, however you do seem to have a lot of exposed thread compared with mine...

IMG_20191001_155827735.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Don't panic!.... You haven't lost anything, looks the same as my 2015 SpeedTriple 94R (and the wifes 2014 StreetTriple, and my old 2008 SprintST1050 if memory serves). The casting that side is threaded for the long bolt which holds the tube in place, casting the other side is drilled to support the tube o/d. Makes for a quick and easy way to support/remove the tank. Admittedly the bolt is longer than needed but probably a generic part used on several different models.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. David_RS

May 7, 2019
    Singapore
    Thanks to all who replied.

It would appear that the diagram is correct, and that there is no nut on the end of that thread.

I can't help but feel it looks pretty awkward, but apparently that is as intended.

Think I might have to find a nut that fits, if only satisfy my OCD!

Thanks again for the help.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Or shorten the bolt? :) (fellow OCD sufferer)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to shorten my rod :worried:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    When you get to my age such things are unimportant. :rolleyes::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    I realise I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I personally wouldn't put a nut on the end of that thread. This is because:
    The frame has not been machined to create a face for the nut to seat against so it will not seat properly.
    Tightening a nut onto the frame will damage the frame's surface finish.
    It will also change the loading on the threads in the frame from the design intent.

As it is, a bit of thead protrusion is not a bad thing, but shortening the bolt wouldn't do any harm as long as some protrusion is maintained.

• Like Like x 1