The Bulldog Spirit, What Happened.......?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pegscraper, Oct 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Just read that they're wanting to ban advertising on the shirts of professional football teams on the grounds of the negative affects of becoming addicted. Now, I really couldn't give two hoots about football but do we really need protecting from EVERYTHING! What is happening to this country? I know I shouldn't mention the War but I'm going to anyway. What happened to the British Bulldog spirit from that era? I'm in a generation fortunate enough never to have been called up to defend our country but I've nothing but respect for the generation(s) who lived and died doing do.
    Came across this the other day which makes interesting reading.....https://flashbak.com/1942-extracts-...ons-for-american-servicemen-in-britain-14231/

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Bulldogs have been subjected to selective breeding for years, which is why they now struggle to breathe, breed etc etc... Same with a lot of dog breeds. "to make them 'better'."

That's probably what happened to the Bulldog Spirit too :(

Hmmmmm. Cynical, much?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #3 Octoberon, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    I'm not convinced that the 'bulldog spirit' wasn't mostly a political statement to keep society together because "we're in it together and together we will beat this virus, er, I mean Adolf".

Also cynical much?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Exactly. It's just a name given to a mindset or attitude that's existed for hundreds of years. The Bulldog was obviously chosen because of it's fighting heritage but I guess you could call it anything that fires up the general populous and stiffens their resolve. The "we're all in it together" doesn't seem to be working with the virus situation. Imagine if that had happened during wartime. "To hell with the blackout, it's Christmas and I'm putting the lights up".

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    NASCAR used to be called "Winston Cup" -Winston tobacco was the sponsor. Then the advertisement of tobacco products was banned. It's all part of becoming a nanny state.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Trouble is Duck the British Bulldog today is Toothless

OIP.jpg

6d5c8bfcf6735b523b74756bff24810f.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Windy

Windy First Class Member

Aug 16, 2019
    Shropshire
    I think it was a society where we got things done no matter what, because we had to and we hard some sense of value in getting it done. We took responsibility for our actions and got told we failed when we did. Now it is not PC to expect anyone to take responsibility for what they got themselves into and god forbid if you fail someone.

yes there are genuine people out there that need help, but they are lost is a society of of weak people who think everyone else is there to sort out there problems.

• Agree Agree x 10
  8. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I was thinking earlier today about how Western Society really has gone down the toilet, as I do most days and it strikes me that, while we are fed all this crap about we can't say nasty and hurtful things about each other, we are not allowed to pick and choose who we want to associate or deal with and we are not allowed to be 'Nationalist' about our own homeland while, at the same time outisde our own homes, and online and on TV the world now makes Sodom and Gomorrah look like pious and pure living communities. We have gambling and corruption on TV and online, every manner of sexual activity except paedophilia and bestiality is not only allowed but positively a 'right' and you're weird if you don't fancy it and I can see a time in the not too distant future when even paedophilia and Bestiality will become legal and every day brings another gang related murder or two somewhere in the UK.

Put simply law abiding and decent people are made to jump through hoops and told how they should live their lives to the nth degree while gambling, drugs and alcohol, crime and corruption are allowed to flourish unimpeded. It is a bloody screwed up and shafted world now! Roll on the apocalypse! I can sense the 'Big Man's' hand hovering over the 'Flush' button!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Used to be this....
    [​IMG]

Now sadly this...:(
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Sadly, Netflix, though receiving backlash, has proven society is about ready for that as well with their recent release of "Cuties" -a very sick minded concept let alone that they followed through with it. The governor of Kalifornia has lowered the penalty for adults having sex with minors. The pervs are getting bolder and they are getting what they want a little at a time. It's a cancer.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    The bulldog spirit did exist, especially in the war years and the generation that came after. Sadly its been systematically bred out of us since then.

In my humble opinion....not a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 11
  12. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    The Bulldog Spirit all went wrong when Tottenham got a sponsorship deal from a famous dog food producer.

It just didn’t look right with them running out onto the field with ‘Winalot’ plastered onto their shirts.*

*caveat. I picked a team at random - this joke can be applied to ANY sporting team of your choice!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Marty, I’m not going to quote your whole post here since to me it is nail on the head, but I suggest people look up Jordan Peterson. He s a clinical psychologist who will happily argue with the lunatic left, and verbally back them into a corner by battering theIr opinions with facts.
    One of the things he is fighting against is the freedom of speech that the left are trying to take away (you are allowed free speech so long as it is commensurrate with the narrative of their identity politics and don't you dare try to argue with that because if you are a straight white male and present a logical argument you are a misogynistic homophobic and racist facist!)

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Funny thing, national stereotypes. Most of the Continental negatives about the British stem from their inability to read us. We tolerate things no Mediterranean would and laugh at things in adversity. Therefore, to use an Americanism, we must be ‘hinky’.
    All I can tell you about bulldogs from over thirty years in the army is that we still breed them. Just need a bit of leadership but the quiet doggedness and refusal to get quickly riled is still there. Just don’t mix with alcohol.....
    The French kick off at the drop of a hat. We just take time before we sink our teeth in and refuse to let go.

58066054-F799-4D28-AFB2-851492D2196A.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Speaking as someone who's been watching Spurs for about half a century, i can confirm that your choice was (sadly) an apt one :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Maybe it has something to do with even allowing this type of discussion?

IMG_20201102_103210817.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #17 Octoberon, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    It's unenforceable and clearly nonsense to try and legislate in this way. I'd also be wary of the reporting though. To an extent, newpapers are written to polarise opinion and cause aggravation as it sells units. Caveat emptor and all that. It's up to the reader to apply common sense and apply perspective to the report.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Yes, understanding that papers have an axe to grind you cannot disguise the fact that an Act of that nature would be the first step on the road to limitation of free speech. This quiet revolution is stealthily taking place whilst us softies, who are more concerned with PC awareness and soundbites, are passing control to those who despise our way of life.

• Like Like x 3
  19. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #19 GaleForceEight, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    At work I have to deal with people who see themselves as persecuted through their ‘identity politics’. They see themselves as persecuted because they are ‘gay’, or as disadvantaged because they are ‘black’ or because they are a woman. Because of this many of them also see anyone who is a straight white male as an enemy!
    My opinion of these mostly left wing fanatics is that all they REALLY need to do is live the way they wish, and stop blaming everyone else for their perceived injustices. I know lots of LGBT people who happily get on with their lives, but they can do so because they don't bang on about it to anyone and everyone! In short they are not trying to be ‘special’ so they get treated the same as everyone else - which is exactly what the ones desperately trying to be ‘special’ are complaining that they are not being treated equally for. Because I don't label myself as a minority, I am therefore ‘priveleged’ in their eyes and should therefore be atoning for them being mentally deficient.

I could not give monkey’s what race, sexuality, colour, or religion someone follows is providing they are prepared to contribute to society on an equal basis to everyone else - but many of these people are so determined to play the victim they are making a rod for their own back and yet they are so absorbed in playing the victim they cannot see it!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    the most recent bulldogess I can think of is Margaret Thatcher booting the Argentinians out of the Falklands, but Winston Churchill must take lead bulldog spirit position with his ‘never surrender’ speech and ‘fighting them on the beaches’ and so on... looking like a bulldog helps too... unfortunately today’s lot seem fidgety, indecisive and lacking the courage of their personal convictions ... if only ‘Bulldog Spirit’ was indeed the brand name of a drink served in the House of Commons bar we may fare somewhat better... :dizzy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2