Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

The Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dozers Dad, Nov 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. figwold

figwold Senior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Bedford
    Oh don’t get me wrong, I agree that it’s a bit of nonsense. But if I was an MP I would not vote for a deal which could split the UK, which it does.

So be angry with May et al for thinking it acceptable, but don’t blame MPs for saying that it isn’t.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Noble Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    They should certainly vote it down but be honest about their rationale AND respect the referendum with a constructive approach to meeting its remit.
    ‘You got it wrong, it is all too difficult/disastrous we must stay in’ does not cut it. And spare me Hammond and BoE projections derived from ludicrously pessimistic assumptions about how badly we will do outside. One is 10% of the EU’s very own growth estimate for us!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Noble Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Anyway......now looks like she is moving the goalposts.....watch this space.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Pretty much what I said in my previous post (#115)........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member
    Subscriber

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    That's better!
    The debate merry-go-round was getting more boring than the weather. :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2018
    Co,.Durham

aac3b1ca0544a05f10cb164cda1e62e2.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    6BF12F02-4425-4CEC-83BB-D90B17463903.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Gazzatriumph

Gazzatriumph Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    #228 Gazzatriumph, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    Must of pressed wrong one by mistake, just goes to show how thick I am and voting leave as well.
    In my defence it was done on my phone rather than the laptop, still not sure how though. I did find your post funny and have changed it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    BMWs are the best bikes in the world! Just in case.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Col_C

Subscriber

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Get out of here!
    What d'ya think this is............a bike forum?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Gazzatriumph

Gazzatriumph Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    Can we get back to abusing remainers please ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

FFS Crispey!
    I created this thread so all the Brexit bollox wouldn't spill over into talk of motorcycles!

Oh, hang on!... BMW you say? Yeah sorry, that has f#ck all to do with proper motorcycles!
    Carry on Sir :cool: :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Cake and tits anyone?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  14. Col_C

Subscriber

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #234 Col_C, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:36 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 11:26 PM
    Here you go < link

Edit -
    So unfortunately we'll still get B#W's even if we get a "No Deal" :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    I think you should book an appointment to review your medication...…..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. half ton

half ton Elite Member

Oct 18, 2013
    uk
    ooooh....do you think the government etc. were maybe,just maybe.....fibbing to us all about all the shit that was going to happen.......naah they wouldn't do that would they.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Noble Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    As DD might say, “Polemics not economics!”

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. figwold

figwold Senior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Bedford
    #238 figwold, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    The simple answer is that no-one can predict the future with any degree of precision. If we could we would all be millionaires.

That said, we can make some high level projections:

1 Leaving (whether deal or no-deal) will cause some disruption and negative impacts as multi-nationals relying on the UK’s access to the EU Single Market review, delay, potentially cancel, and maybe even reverse investment decisions.

2 In extremism we may find plant closures as (for example) motor manufacturers decide to shut UK plants in favour of EU ones, probably in Eastern Europe.

3 We can expect prices for products imported from the EU to increase to cover the costs of tariffs and delays at the ports

4 Some goods, imported from outside the EU, may become cheaper as EU tariffs are removed. This is likely to be noticeable for food. However UK farmers will cry “foul” as this will make it harder for them to compete.

5 We will have increased opportunities to trade with the rest of the world, but trade deals take many years to negotiate so any benefits will be slow and gradual to impact.

6 Our Financial Services industry may lose some business from the EU, impacting jobs

7 The pound is likely to remain weak in the short term as, whatever we may think, the markets clearly do not think Brexit is good economically. Imports and foreign purchases such as holidays will continue to be more expensive.

8 The government may try to stimulate the economy by cutting taxes, but public debt is already very high by historic and international standards.

9 In the long run this will either prove to be good or bad, but we won’t be sure and in any event we will be dead :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf GRRRRRR
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    :confused:....MEH..... I started off with nothing :eek: and I still got most of it left :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. John Scotcher

John Scotcher New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Stoke on Trent,UK
    Brexit has already had a negative impact as the pound currency has fallen in value about 15% against the Euro and the US dollar since the referendum. This makes imports from the EU more expensive (where most motorcycle spare parts originate - most Japanese companies have their European central parts warehouses in the EU but not in the UK). Japan has just sorted a trade deal with the EU which will make motorcycles manufactured in Japan about 8% cheaper in the EU. Obviously the UK will not receive those benefits without a trade deal. If you were a country outside Europe, who would you prefer to have a trade deal with - the UK with about 65 million people or the EU with hundreds of millions of people? Jacob Rees Mogg has said that it may take up to 50 years for the UK to get any benefits from leaving the EU but, that doesn't affect him as he has transferred some of his financial interests into the EU (Dublin).

• Agree Agree x 2