The 12 Minutes Test/reset

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hubaxe, Apr 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    #1 Hubaxe, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Hi,
    I've recently discovered about this 12 minutes test/reset.
    In case some of us don't know what it is I summarize:
    Start the bike without turning the throttle, let it warm until the fan starts, let it run 12 minutes, then stop the engine. In the meantime the ECU does some magic tricks to adapt all alone to the current conditions.

My Sprint ST 1050 is one of these bike able to do this.

The question is simple. Does some of you did that 12 minutes reset? Did that improved things?

2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    You have a ventilator on your bike? You're taking this COVID thing way too seriously...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I change for a fan. In french, fan is "ventilateur", that explains my confusion.

Message edited:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there!
    I did it for the exhaust that I put on but I don’t know if it made any difference tbh. I suppose that it must have. I think you can use it also to reset errors?
    But only if they have been rectified of course. I could be totally wrong!

5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    No errors (I have tunecu and the cable). But sometimes doesn't start at the first push on the button.
    I may give the process a try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I didn't know about the 12 minute thing but have used the "3 heat cycle" trick to reset errors in the past.
    Although my errors have normally cleared before needing all 3 cycles.

7. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Not sure it made any great difference to any of my bikes. Is your Sprint on the later map? I think it changed in 2008 for improved starting. I have all the maps downloaded from Tuneecu. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    That 2008 map is an interesting information. i was not aware about. Great thanks. I'll check that then.

9. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    #9 Hubaxe, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    I checked the 2008 map, as ECU are different from this year I don't know if I should try.

But I've done the 12 minutes reset. My understanding is that process recalibrate the O2 sensor.
    I can feel it made a difference on the bike. The idle is slightly higher, low revs are a bit rounder, and I now have the famous rumble as I cut the throttle (I didn't had that much before the reset). Just for that I'm happy :)

I have the feeling my bike was running a bit on poor fuel ratio.
    Considering I bought it from a guy living at 2000 m over sea level, the changes I feel make sense.

In next weeks I will see if that reset improves the cold start (sometimes need 2 attempts).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Most ECU will reset if the battery is disconnected, but the reset is just short term fuelling and timing maps, the ECU is capable of learning and responding to minor changes like fuel octane changes an in tandem ignition timing changes because of this and loading changes, these changes are very small and if reset the ECU will go through relearning these parameters again BUT only to the given conditions and these will change constantly once on the move.

As for lambda feedback i have been told that lambda feedback is only active at idle and low RPM on most bikes unless some now have full time wideband lambda?
    So fuelling is set in the map, but timing has default maps should low grade fuel be used, but I have also been told bikes don't have a knock sensor, so timing cannot be pulled should low grade fuel be used etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I've read that our Triumph are on the low rpm feedback case.
    And that makes sense with the 12 minutes calibration process, done at idle rpm. Once the O2 reset within the current conditions, I guess the value is a base for map calculation and response.

If I understand Ok, this 12 minutes process brings informations to the ECU used as a start for riding calculations and slight adaptation.

Anyway, it cannot harm to process that time to time, after a new air filter for example.

12. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    In my experience of ECUs you just disconnect the battery and this will reset the idle learn, but 12 minutes seems a bit long, short term fuel and timing will also be reset, but the ECU will relearn this if any large changes take place.

Things like exhaust and air filter changes will only affect the idle learn on a narrowband lambda setup as it is only idle and very low load that fuelling trim is affected by this not normal running, its only full time wideband IE intelligent ECU that can adjust for such things.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    @feckless what do you disagree in that? If you know more about it would be interesting.

14. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Oh! And apparently Triumph ECUs don't have knock sensors so can't pull timing advance if knock is detected from using low grade fuel or other fuelling problems....pretty basic really.

15. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    The more basic it is the more reliable ?? hmm :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    pressed the wrong emoji LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    :) oh no, I was keen learning something new on this 12 min process

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    • Useful Useful x 2
  19. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Seems a bit daft to me as the ECU has no way of detecting fuelling changes other the narrowband lambda which only operates at low RPM/load and then the adjustment range of a narrowband lambda only detects rich or lean condition which the ECU constantly changes from one to the other in an effort to keep up...I can understand if changing fuel types or altitude but other than that it's a pointless exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    #20 Hubaxe, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Don't know exactly how that works. In my case the process clearly made some changes.
    Under 3000 rpm, the engine has more grunt. That can be explained by the fact the bike used to ride on poor oxygen due to last owner high altitude location.
    The O2 sensor adaptation certainly increased the fuel ratio.
    On higher rpm can't really say, it's still rocketing me into speed my poor riding skills can't handle :grinning:

The adaptation did not fixed the fact I sometime need 2 attempts to start the engine. But that's not a big issue so far, the engine always starts.