Thank You Very Much Microbloodysoft!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stevethegoolie, May 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Went to shut down our laptop on Saturday night - as you do - and it decided to update (Windows 10). Took around 45 minutes. Next day it fired up and went straight to reconfiguring updates - took around 1hr 45mins - and then the bloody computer wouldn't work!!!!:confused: Seems that this is a normal outcome with this update. The company we took it to had seen it all before apparently and knew how to deal with it. Took them 3 days and 40 of my ££s to sort it out.
    I hate Microshitsoft:poop: at the moment.:mad: Probably will for quite some time.:mad::mad: £40 FFS!!!!:eek::eek: BASTIDS!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Perhaps I should send the tw4ts a bill?!: unamused:

• Like Like x 1
  2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Perhaps you should backup your PC and setup a restore every now and again ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    The girlfriend had the same problem, took me several hours to sort it out.

Microsoft is becoming a real pain, day to day she uses her iPad and only turns on the PC when she needs to create a document or edit some pictures. This means it can be switched off for a couple of weeks at a time and when she turns it on the bloody thing is unusable while it catches up with the updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Can iPads use Microsoft systems then? (Legitimate question - my kids have iPads and theirs use an Apple OS)
    edit: My bad, that’ll reach me to read properly! The annoying that I find about windows 10 is that they can’t work out how to turn off automatic updates because they always seem to happen when I am trying to do something quickly!

5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You used to be able to decide yourself when it did it's updates. Then in it's infinite wisdom m/s decided they would be automatic.

6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I actually downgraded my laptop to Win 7 after using Win 10 for a short while and seeing how much say Microsoft had over what I could / wanted to do with my laptop.

Almost everytime they did an update it reset all of my preferences to their preferred settings so I had to go reset them all again.

Microsoft is currently starting to slow down Win 7 in an attempt to make people move to Win 10, I wont be moving until it wont run anymore :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Colin Morgan

Colin Morgan Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Portishead
    Hi all
    I,m still using Windows 7 at home but 10 at work. Bloody updates drive me up the wall. So frustrating when your trying to work (or look on the forum)

8. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I still have an old BBC model B kicking around. It has all of 32k of RAM, and comes from an age where programmers had to actually think about the programming to make best use of available memory, not like the guys today who have so much available they just force program in a very lazy way.

9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Agree with much that has been said, I live out in the sticks, fibre is not available and I only get 2mbps on a good day. So updates (especially major ones) are a pain, however not keeping a current operating system leaves you at greater risk of virus attacks (as the NHS found recently :rolleyes:). Microsoft are doing their damnedest to dictate how we use our pc's, making it harder to choose when to run updates.
    But there are still ways.....
    Have a look here for options
    I'm running all my pc's with solution 2, so I still know when updates are available but can choose when's convenient to download/install. You'll get an extra line of text in red like this when set up this way.
    upload_2018-6-4_21-21-12.png

Hope that helps.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just turn off "Automatic Updates" - job done.

• Agree Agree x 1