Textile Or Leather Jacket On A Bonneville?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by DavidBrownLaw, Jul 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DavidBrownLaw

DavidBrownLaw Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Lawrence, Kansas
  2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    I use textile for work and leather for pleasure riding, but each to their own, as long as it’s protection :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    There are some very cool waxed cotton jackets that would look great on a Bonneville. A few brands to check out are Belstaff, Roland Sands, and Merlin, among others. I believe Triumph may offer some as well. I have a motorcycle buddy who rides a T120 and wears a Belstaff. Classic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Leather always looks cool and is a good traditional choice for a Bonneville (if the right style). Waxed cotton jackets are good - I have a Merlin one - but have also worn textile (just don't have a Bonneville anymore!)

• Like Like x 4
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Leather for me, whatever the bike, and riding or not cos I love them :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Whichever flicks your switch mate, what I like shouldn't influence what you like (unless it's in the form of a review of course). Get whatever takes your fancy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Leather or Wax
    Saying that the textile is easy, vented and usually more pockets

• Like Like x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Have been looking at the Merlin Atlow Steve, what's your verdict on them?

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have the Outlast jacket, which is the short version, no belt as I'm not particularly keen on that look. Had it about 18 months now and am impressed with the quality. Its warm enough to wear in winter as the quilted lining is very effective and whilst it's not fully waterproof it's better than my Triumph textile jacket.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    I love my Roland Sands waxed cotton perforated jacket for the summer. Helps keep you dry if you get hit by a short sprinkle and with enough ventilation to keep you cool on all but the hottest days. The styling hits all the notes for me when I'm tooling around town.

https://rolandsands.com/truman-jacket/

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 8.38.20 AM.png

• Like Like x 3
  11. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    For me it has to be mesh in the summer, but it is definitely leather in the winter. I have several and the one I will favor for riding the bonnie is my leather "Fonzie" style jacket. I think they look good together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. String

String Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Sunderland
    I’d love a Belstaff Brooklands leather jacket in dark brown.
    I think they’re super cool :cool: but goodness me, they’re £1,000 :eek:
    Still, you can’t take it with you ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    So, David, I would say that the solution is simply to collect several motorcycle jackets. ;):) Then you can choose what you wear each time you ride by temperature, precipitation, and mood!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    The more the better!:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Have both. Wear both. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Style, Protection, both? Leather is mandated on track for good reasons. Cordura and Ballistic nylon will withstand abrasions and tears, but will not slide as well as leather. Protective inserts and back protectors are important. That old bomber jacket may look really cool, but the soft leather won't last but a few feet on the concrete. It is clearly your choice and your skin, so no judgement. Just know what you want and why.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #17 Judd Dredd, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "The more the better!" How did you know my personal motto when it comes to motorcycle jackets, @JtC?! :kissing_heart: I lost track of how many I have so I went to the closet to do a count. Hmmm, I'm embarrassed to say that it's in the double digits! :eek: But that's ok. I never stay embarrassed for long. ;)

I have a variety of types from a variety of manufacturers--leather, textile, mesh, and waxed cotton. Harley-Davidson, Joe Rocket, Roland Sands, First Gear, Spidi, and Speed & Strength. :cool:

I always tell Mr. Sandi that at least I don't collect antique furniture, classic cars, or airplanes.:joy: I do actually wear all of my jackets, though some more than others. Of all the motorcycle jackets I own, I only have one for which I paid full price, a beautiful Oxblood Red Roland Sands leather jacket that's one of my faves.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    Depends on the weather here. 96% humidity and 90F means mesh . When it cools down to 80F I switch to a perf leather , and full leather below 60F

• Like Like x 1
  20. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Personally i look at it this way, everybody says leather is safer, slides better and is more abrasion resistant. On our narrow uk roads that we all love i think sliding far is the least of your worries, lamp posts, walls, other vehicles are far more likely stop you sliding before you wear through most decent bike gear whatever the construction.
    Wear what you feel comfortable with and in. I will wear either leather or textile depending on the circumstances, weather, duration of ride, where i'm headed to, what i will be doing when i get there.
    As @Sandi T. says you can never have too much gear.

• Agree Agree x 5