Textile Jacket Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by andyb57, Feb 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I'm searching for a decent textile jacket in preparation for a lot more riding than I've managed over the last couple of years once we are let off the leash......

I want something longer than the sportsbike styles out there, but I don't want to look like Ewan on his GS. I want it to offer a decent level of protection but not bothered about the armour it comes with as I have D30 stuff I can fit anyway. The thermal liner should be removable, I want it for 3 seasons as I have no intention of riding far in the depths of winter (I know, I know....). Budget around £200 - £300??

Thoughts please!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    At that price look at the Oxford range, better to get a jacket with waterproofing built into the outer lining rather than a removable drop liner.
    There is a lengthy thread on here about suggestions for a similar jacket, have a search!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks - I did search before posting, will do so again as I seem to have missed that thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The thread I was thinking of is headed 'Gore tex pro laminated, worth the cost?' - refers to dearer jackets but some references to more budget kit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I think this is the recent thread;
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/goretex-pro-laminated-jackets-worth-the-cost.27641/

My leather and textile jackets are both RST so didn't cost a fortune, the RST (isle of man TT crosby) was £100 at the motorcycle show and the leather roadster about £200. Both are ok in a shower, oddly the leather is probably better, but neither what you are asking for! As a mainly summer rider as well I use the Richa Rain Warrior trousers (£20) and jacket (£30) over the top for wet days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Worth getting a Goretex jacket if you can for that price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks Notso.

I have Alpinestars waterproofs but always have an almighty fight trying to get the jacket on over damp leather :grinning:. Much as I like leather jackets I've decided textile is probably the sensible option most of the time.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Looks good initially but several reviews highlight a few issues such as v small pockets which is a pity because construction and materials etc looks good :(

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I have the Triumph Malvern and it is brilliant, I wear it all year, apart from the height of summer where I use a mesh jacket, Malvern is toasty in the winter with the fleece, fleece out not too warm in the warmer months. When it pisses down its rock-solid, I have a Segura Stripe leather, Oxford Hardy Wax and find myself opting for the Malvern most often

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I have a fairly cheap RST jacket thats done really well over the years. This is the nearest one I can find as mine seems to be discontinued. It'll hold out a shower but for more persistent rain I used an overcoat. Comfy, warm with the removable liner. Really impressive jacket for the money. The velcro tab at the collar dosnt hold too well now after 4 or 5 years of frequent use. Easily over 30k miles on it. Overall it's done very well.
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/410819

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    For 3 seasons, definitely go for laminated outer rather than drop liner. Goretex Pro will be outside your price bracket, but Oxford Mondial will be in budget. Mine are Dianese, with D-Dry XT laminated material, around £400 mark, dependable with commuting 3-4 days a week year round.

Drop liners theoretically keep you dry, but wet-out still happens. The outer material gets soaked, sapping any warmth out of the jacket and making it really heavy. I've found it eventually finds a weak point for water to seep through. No sprays or potions are enough to truly stop it.

Laminated makes it bead off so stops it straight away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ricardodaforce

Ricardodaforce Active Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Cardiff
    Another fan of RST here. I have the Maverick which ticks all your boxes. It kept me warm and dry all through the winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    #17 andyb57, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I've ended up with the Alpinestars Mirage laminated jacket ( https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/376657 ). It's discontinued so some decent offers around, I paid £200 for the last 44 I could find. I tried a 42 which was cheaper but it was tiny - pretty sure it measured 42 externally! Maybe I've packed on some lockdown lard though.

It feels and looks decent quality, doesn't come with a thermal liner but I have an Alpinestars liner hanging around somewhere. Now looking forward to using the thing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. StefLA

StefLA New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Switzerland
    Check out the Merlin Edale jacket: https://www.merlinbikegear.com/products/men/edale/

Mid length, made from Cotec which resembles wax cotton but is lighter and offers significantly more abrasion resistance (jacket is CE AA rated). The jacket has an outlast liner, loads of pockets, and even a loop to connect to your trouser belt. Retail price is £280. I love mine and feel like I got a hell of a lot of functionality for the money. Be aware that Merlin sizes quite big

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skullface

Skullface New Member

Aug 18, 2021
    Quebec
    #19 Skullface, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    I guess it can be a problem sometimes. I mean, when I was trying to buy a new pair of Nikes I had issues with the size. A lot of stores, even the official one didn't request to make a special pair for me. A lot of attempts and all of them failed. Checking amade-tech.com helped a little. After that, I could know everything about my size. Looking at the online stores for shoes isn't that challenging anymore. It is straightforward for home use. Especially if someone has a repair shop for shoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jeff Cameron

Jeff Cameron New Member

May 29, 2018
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    I have had several jackets over the years,,,everything from a budget Joe Rocket, to an Olympic and now a Klim. I much prefer the Klim. Yes the jacket is crazy expensive but for me it is the most conformable jacket I have owned. The gortex fabric is the only way to go. Light weight, cool and breathable on the warmer days and decent on the cooler days. I love the flexible armor compared to the old solid plastic stuff.