Test rode an America

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Dave S, Jun 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    SX
    Well I can't find a Speedmaster to test ride so I tried an America. Having read several test reports I was surprised by the differences in the riders comments. So I thrashed my Buell over to Ongar motorcycles which isn't in Ongar and spent 40 minutes trying it out. I don't think it's the bike for me but I was impressed with the bike in general just not the riding position. Brakes were better than I expected, power was more than adequate and the handling sure footed. I ride a Harley tourer most of the time so I thought the seating position would be right. Can't figure out what is wrong but two test I read said the same thing, I found it made me lean back but with no support. The Speedmaster on the other hand just feels right. Problem is I can't find a dealer with a demo Speedmaster.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    What was it , the bar position , footpegs , or was it the actual seat , all three can be changed or altered pretty easily , I am guessing it was the bars , because the speedmaster usually has shorter more forward positioned bars which would make you lean forward a bit more . Some people have said they find the seats a bit uncomfortable & have changed them for aftermarket ones , I personally don't though . The footpegs can be altered to lower mounted foot boards which would also alter your riding position . People normally swap and change stuff , speedie's & americas alike , the main differences really are the speedmaster has twin front discs & the engine covers are black instead of chrome. Nice Harley btw

3. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    SX
    The new Speedmaster and America only have a single front disc. I think the bars altered would help but I think it's the seat. I've tried several local Triumph dealers no one has a demo Speedmaster.
    America has foot boards Speedmaster has pegs, although yesterday I read a test of a 2015 America and that had pegs.

4. Ian Jolly

Ian Jolly New Member

May 17, 2015
    Eastleigh
    i love my America, but then i am 5'3'' and most bikes are too big. I tried a Speedmaster and both felt the same, i just went for more chrome

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    The beauty about the speedmasters & americas are that you rarely see two the same - seats / bars / footpegs /boards / exhausts / wheels / even rear light setups , theyre all different in some way or another . There's a personal feel about mine that makes it mine & theyre all like that , dare I say it , a bit like Harleys :0

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "Steady in the ranks there"

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    #7 Dodge74, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    lol :) btw Dave , we're coming over to your neck of the woods next week to annoy you all & disturb the peace & tranquillity , there's four of us , we were originally going to the Alps , but Steve can't get enough time off work & Ivan is still a bit sore from his Spanish bike tour where he couldn't stop dropping his bike apparently , so we're coming across from Newhaven to Le Havre & riding down to the Loire valley & then ride around from there for a week . If your about we could meet up , coming across on the 18th

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That would be EXCELLENT !!!!!!!

Are you camping or hotelling? We've got plenty of space here if you want to camp?

Making a plan - "List of places to visit : Lac Eguzon; Lac Vassivière; Argenton sur Creuse; Musée de la Résistance;

9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thebiglad
    The America and the speedmaster both nice bike and I have had both models like the speedmaster better it had more aggression. But its not a Harley and does not even come close I did all the changes to my America but like you I have a super glide and its still king of the cruisers / customs. They have all tried but if you have Harley in the blood nothing else will take its place. The other side is if they want to sell a bike then they will find a test bike for you unless they are trying just to fob you of with something you don't want.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #10 thebiglad, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Hello Joe, sorry mate but I think you've made a cock-up ! I've never had or wanted a Harley.

11. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    SX
    My thoughts too Joe, I've n been in two dealerships both twice and spoken to three others. All just expect you to believe what they say and offered no assistance in finding a demo Speedmaster. I think I'm going to sell the Buell privately then I may buy a Victory Judge, a little more expensive than the Speedmaster but I think a deal can be negotiated .

• Like Like x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thebiglad
    Yes someone else said it but my week it I am getting it all wrong. And your right the Harley will plod along around a ton but rattles you to pieces deafens you and even the six pot callipers I have on mine its a beggar to stop and of course it never goes out in the rain. But I love mine and although I have it for sale now I will get another later possibly just a sportster. But the Speedmaster and America do go well. I still prefer the Speedmaster and like Dave S said they are going to loose a sale through their own ignorance. Personally I would complain to Triumph HQ I do know from experience they do listen to their riders and will try to accommodate.
    Again apologizes.
    Joe

13. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    If the America doesn't float your boat I'd recommend trying a Thunderbird. It goes well, handles brilliantly, the brakes are excellent and it's surprisingly easy to ride given the weight and size of the thing!

14. Wee neil

Wee neil Active Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Dumfriesshire
    Hi as a newbie(to the forum and the Triumph America I bought today) I am pretty pleased with the handling even though I have only done about 30miles. For the last 10years I have been running a Suzuki Boulevard c90 so I thought the America would be a bit disappointing- so far much better than anticipated. I would like to know how to keep the alloy wheels in good nick any advice?

15. Ian Jolly

Ian Jolly New Member

May 17, 2015
    Eastleigh
    Keeping the wheels in good order is very hard. I would make sure i washed or wiped them after a ride out in the rain.I use my bike in winter aswell but must admit it sits in a garage that is carpeted and warm. I have now changed them for chrome wheels. So more cleaning needed..

16. Wee neil

Wee neil Active Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Dumfriesshire
    Used my Suzuki all year,hosed it down after use and all in all bike still looked okay after 10years in all weathers especially the alloy wheels whatever they were treated with

17. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    The wheels are crap I'm afraid. It's a constant battle to keep the corrosion at bay. Read your warranty and you'll find that Triumph specifically EXCLUDE polished alloy parts from damage caused by corrosion.

Unless you've got a garage or you don't want to clean and polish the wheels every day (and believe me a few spots of rain will bring out the corrosion) cover them in acf50 and clean them when you sell it.

It's crap but works. I've adopted the same approach with my Commander.

It's a pity as they look great when you've spent some time with the Solvol but they need a lot of work on an almost daily basis and I have better things to do with my time ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    SX

If I wanted a Thunderbird I'd be looking at And test riding a Thunderbird

19. Wee neil

Wee neil Active Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Dumfriesshire
    I too have better things to do like get out and play on the new machine,I have a mate who has a blasting business and he should have the right connections to come up with a solution in time, when I show him the bike and I know what's what I will post

20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    [​IMG]