765 Test Rode A St Rs

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Cupoftea, Feb 10, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I had the privilege to ride a Street Triple today. Not the best weather but what a machine!
    I liked the engine, power, seat comfort, slick shifter but the handle bar position was a little low as I'm use to riding more upright machines.
    I suppose a set of handle bar risers would make a difference!
    But a great experience.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    You don’t say which model. I came to mine from the opposite direction, my Ducati, so the sit up and beg style was a revelation, as was the absence of a fairing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    RS model 2022, its in the title.

4. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Many thanks. I wasn’t sure whether it was a new one or a new, new one. If you look at the Triumph website you will see two different choices for the Street Triple family.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The year wasn't and that makes a difference.
    A nice bike and maybe I'll line myself up for a test ride at some point but like @Baza points out there is more than one 765rs and I already have the older version (2019).

Just recently bought a Scorpion red power for it which I haven't fitted yet with it being mothballed for winter. Apparently that gains around 6 bhp and drops 5 kg So sounds a nice upgrade and I'm not sure what, if any, upgrade the post 2021 version would really give me. We'll see.

What " more upright machines" were you comparing it with?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    if your machine is 2019 I think there is my bike’s era of 20/21/22 and then we get the new 2023. I could be completely wrong. There must be more knowledgeable members on here to advise.

One thing I did notice was that the R model LRH is not listed in the 2023 line up. When I bought mine in late 21 the R and R (LRH) were both the same price. Now that the (LRH) is not listed as a standalone bike you can still get the lower seat height by a seat and suspension mod, but guess what, it’s going to cost you for these optional extras. Crafty buggers.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the enhanced electronics on rider safety and the engine mods are easily worth the extra £100 but the TFT display looks crap, I love my big analogue tacho.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The Street Triple 765rs that Cupoftea test rode is not the new model 765rs as Baza says, the new 2023 models are not in the dealers showroom as yet, due in part as Triumph still have plenty of the 2022 models, these are cheaper than the new 765rs, however the new model lacks a dash cowl, and that ups the cost, the new model has a multitude of differences to the older one including electronics and engine components, eg conrods, valves, gears, pistons. Power is up and also improved acceleration and mid range. The Moto 2 edition is sold out, it will be interesting to see the age and gender of the buyers, I say this as I doubt those of mature years will find the ride comfortable over long distances (clip on bars), time will tell if the Moto 2 edition will go the same route as the Daytona 765 Moto 2, that pre sold out and later on machines with ultra low mileage are back on the market. Look at the Speed Triple 1200rr, some dealers have reduced the price of new ones by as much as £4500 to shift stock. The difference in the 2019 and 2020 model 765rs is noticeable, better acceleration and mid range, up/down quickshifter and a host of updates in improvement, personally I prefer the TFT dash layout on the 2019 model rather than the one on the 2020, I rode the 2019 and 2020 model back to back, and the difference sealed the deal for me (2 new machines in less than 12 months). I really like the new colours, so will it be another new RS or Ducati Streetfighter V2, decisions decisions. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Omg, sorry about that. Didn't know there was a newer one out, or is it out!!!

9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It is not in dealer showrooms as yet, but yes it is ready and was showcased at dealer events from the 25/01/23 and runs until the 19/03/23, it is expected to be in showrooms from mid march. I have placed a link that Triumph sent out some time back relating to dates of the dealer showcase. If I were you I would wait and get the new version RS rather than the outgoing model, I have the offer of a test ride on one later on in March so I will se how that pans out. Ride safe all from an ageing (but still mischievous) Rocker.
    Triumph Street Triple 765 Range Tour | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.co.uk)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace

As @Iceman says the new models feature enhanced electronics (IMU) and engine internals together with massaged gear ratios. The 2020 R and RS models were pretty similar for power and torque outputs. Some will say the mid range delivery was better on the R. This has now been addressed with the RS finding another 10 bhp and a tad more torque.

Difference in price between the new R and the previous one, like wot I’ve got, is a ton. Money well spent if you compare RRP prices but I bought my 2021 R in October 21 at 10% off of list which may make the decision a trifle harder to make.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    I took a 2015 model for a test ride a few weeks ago, long story short, put a deposit down for the new 2023 ST R (5th generation I believe) take delivery mid-March hopefully…..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    I took a 2015 model for a test ride a few weeks ago, long story short, put a deposit down for the new 2023 ST R (5th generation I believe) take delivery mid-March hopefully…..

• Like Like x 3
  13. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Exactly that. I have a 2021 RS and the new Moto2 on order

14. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    What a choice you have to ride this summer lucky man the Moto2 edition does look the dogs doo,dars, the RS and Moto2 were outside what I could afford at the moment. The waiting for delivery is painful, but it has been best part of 30years since I owned my last bike lol.

15. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    You won’t be disappointed. When I bought my R its performance was the same as the RS. So the extra crinkle went on Ohlins instead of Showa etc. My view at the time was the bling is nice but are my riding skills up to noticing the difference in suspension performance, and even if the answer is yes, can I make use of that extra performance on the road on a regular basis. Answer NO. So why waste your dosh? Spend it on some nice Evotech whimsies.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    I’m already blown away, the last bike I owned was a Suzuki GSXR 750 late 80’s early 90’s going back a long time, the tech on bikes now blows my mind, lean sensor abs, traction control, quick shifter up & down to name a few is crazy. I had a spin on a 2015 street triple and I was hooked so I know the new one is going to bring those smiles for miles. Your right the R for me is more than enough for a 55 year old chap and I’ve already added a few little extras :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Well, I could foresee that the day would come when I would find the riding crouch on the 2001 Ducati would become uncomfortable. So my criteria for another machine was a good price, lighter, lower (cannot flat foot the Duke), more relaxed riding stance, electronic aids would be nice but not essential and ditto for more power. I had browsed the Triumph range, as I still have the Tbird I bought over 50 years ago, and already had a notion that it would probably be a Street Triple R (LRH).

So we went and had a look at one. I sat on it, the dealer agreed 10% off of list so I said yes. It wasn’t until the day I collected it that I discovered the shift assist :joy: Am I pleased with it? You bet. It does everything it says on the tin but for looks and character the Ducati still wins hands down.

Oh, and I am twenty years older than you :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    Blimey I am a spring chicken :) happy biking

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    OK, I've booked up to test ride the new new rs in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 4
  20. winrow3745

winrow3745 Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Cheshire
    I'm booked in for a rest ride too on a 2023 RS. But at the moment, the weather isn't playing ball!

• Like Like x 1