Featured Tedium

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by DCS900, Sep 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Just thought I’d see how popular the yammie TDM’s are with the forum? Have you had one? What did you think? Etc etc

I have a 900 yellow peril which I like and have really grown to enjoy… only poor thing at the moment is the firm, square edged seat! Hurts my tender leggy-wegs at the top of the posterior thigh after a moderate distance.
    Hopefully, there is a piccy below… (Langdales, Cumbria… before anyone asks)

976F1F0B-17A6-43D2-A0B8-16E61F48CAB2.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Nice looking bike - never owned one but do like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Mmmm? My addled brain remembers another TDM owner on here with a veerry similar name :grinning:
    Anyway, welcome (back) and they are fine bikes:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Never owned one, from what I have read a capable bike :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Had a go on one once and yes, nice bike.
    I suppose they need the suspension oil/springs doing by now but a nice buy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I have contemplated getting one years ago, but that never happened. I do like the look of them, and a mate of mine says he'll never get rid of his.
    Btw, love the Langdales!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    The TDM is one of the most underrated bike. That make them great bargains.
    If I had to commute everyday, I would probably consider one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Very popular in France, as others have said its highly under rated. I've ridden a 900 and it was a good bike, I owned and loved a TRX850, same motor as the earliest tdm model. Thumbs up from me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    A mate of mine had one for years and loved it. He too found the seat a tad uncomfortable and had Tony Archer remodel it which sorted the issue. I seem to remember that he also put a pair of carbon can co. silencers on which proved worthwhile

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I know nothing about them and this model hasn't ever even been on my radar. But now it is. That's a great looking bike, DCS. And stunning scenery to boot! While clearly the seat is not the best aspect of the bike, what do you like about it?

11. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Hi @Sandi T … hope the elbow is back up to scratch?

it’s not a modern ride, but it’s a capable one. The brakes are great; the longer travel suspension soaks up the UKs shocking blacktop conditions and its height Is commanding enough to “see and be seen”, yet doesn’t interfere with its desire to lay over in the corners (it’s more capable than I)
    I’ve done a couple of minor mods to improve the experience. The parallel twin is set with a 270 deg crank, but due to an “emissions friendly” sock in its mouth at low revs, the low Rev throttle control was glitchy and a pain in the arse… but easily solved with a minor surgical procedure on the nervous system.
    I also put heated grips behind the hand protectors… it is England you know, land of drizzle and “that wet rain that soaks you!” So a little contact comfort was welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  12. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Never owned one but i would.
    I never looked at these bikes at all until my wife`s Bandit went in for a service & they gave me a 900 loan bike. What a surprise this thing was! Within miles i loved it so did the missis. Only gripe was a little buffeting from the standard screen....very minor gripe i know.
    I would buy one as they do everything you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. jollyjohn

jollyjohn New Member

Jun 17, 2016
    stafford uk
    I have sat on that bench many times

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Hired an original red 850 in Majorca for a day (20yr old, on a provisional bike license...I do like the Spanish) which wafted myself and the g/f round the island in complete comfort and i marvelled at the roll-on powaaa! (I was on a 12bhp stinkwheel back home) Twin fan ever since.

Way way ahead of its time. Still prefer the 850 for looks (and with a set of Laser's) but would imagine the 900 is better, lumpier firing order iirc...

Still see loads out and about unlike the racy sister, TRX. Another dream bike for me back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Riggers

Riggers Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hull
    Over the past 6 or so years I've owned 2 TDM900s and I think that they're great bikes, and make very capable tourers. I've got a 'flip up' screen on my current bike and have also done the air intake mod in an attempt to smooth our the low speed throttle jerkiness mentioned by others. In fact, I find this to be the only nagging problem with these bikes, and on my first TDM the previous owner had gone to the trouble of fitting a Power Commander to resolve it. On my current bike I've fitted a Booster Plug for the same reason. Part of the problem is that these bikes run with a lot of free play in the chain due (presumably) to the long swinging arm - Yamaha recommend 50 to 60mm of chain slack. In the end you learn to live with it by being careful with your throttle control / clutch take up.

Other than that they do everything very well. Loads of low end grunt, a top whack around 140mph, great handling, comfortable (even two up), and even a bit of weather protection.

I've got a T100 for country lanes and nostalgia, but for touring or motorway trips the TDM900 fits the bill perfectly - IMHO.

Riggers

• Thanks Thanks x 1