Tech Washing A Textile Jacket

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Pete Farrell, Feb 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    I am going to wash my Bulson textile jacket using Techwash and there are no washing instructions on the jacket. I have taken out the body armour and removed the zip in membrane am I okay washing the two together? I know you have to thoroughly wash out the fabric conditioner from the tray prior to washing the jacket then leave it to dry naturally.
    Advice appreciated guys.
    Regards, Pete.

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I wash my jacket by hand , use the Bath Tub as the washer ! Let it soak for a good while in warm soapy water before doing the hand wash/agitation, drain bath and refill with fresh water, soak again and hand wash/agitate again, drain bath and wait till jacket drains too, then hang in shower stall until dry enough to take it elsewhere to finish drying.

Cheers capt

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I have a wife to do all that sort of stuff :p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Speaking on behalf of my wife who delegates all the sh***y jobs to me......

This stuff? Hein Gericke texttile jacket Armour out, thermal liner out and everything opened up. Into the washing machine as per instructions and a clean, re-proofed jacket emerges. Good stuff and worked as advertised for me.

E37126BA-0110-4E18-AB57-A0D6DD1F8300.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pete Farrell

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    That's the stuff I'm going to use, I've taken out the body armour and the waterproof membrane (I've never had the thermal liner in the jacket its too warm) so there's just the two items to wash. Excuse my ignorance but you do wash the waterproof membrane I presume?

6. Wee neil

Wee neil Active Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Dumfriesshire
    Hi Pete wash the suit as directed with the Tech wash,then use Nikwax TX Direct as instructions we have used these products for many years on Hein Gericke suits which must be 10yrs old and still waterproof

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yup. Wash the membrane. Techie stuff: steam/water vapour blobs smaller than wet water blobs. Tech Wash cleans then bungs up bigger holes wet water blobs might sneak through but leaves tiddly holes for vapour.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Pete Farrell

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    Thanks guys much appreciated I'll let you know how I get on.
    Cheers, Pete.

9. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    A few years ago I was given a Textile Barbour jacket & RST trousers, we bunged 'em in the machine for a good wash, then when dry used this.
    s-l1600.jpg
    No particular reason for that actual one except it was cheap on a market stall as the lid was broke, several years later they were still water proof.
    Well worth the £7 or £8 now I think.
    Did my gloves too, even they stood up to real heavy rain.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've had good success with Nikwax stuff, and Fabsil. Currently using Grangers which does much the same thing and was on special offer when I bought it.

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Use the Nikwax stuff as prescribed, then reproofed using their waterproof spray and wipe down/in when finished spraying and left to drip dry, works well. Done my Halvarssons a few times now and it's still waterproof after 5+ years. Halvarssons actually recommends using Nikwax products, lists it in the back of their catalogues.

Never done the the liner, mines has that wax stuff OUTLAST in it, regulates temprature, thought it would get knackered in hot soapy water of any kind!

The spray on waterproof stuff works well on visors, makes the water bead and run off. Works until you clean it a couple of times, then needs reapplied. Just a wee squirt then rub in and polish off.

• Like Like x 3
  12. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Sounds like a really good idea to me. I'd contact the maker and see what they say.

13. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Just a small tip from myself, you dont need to use techwash to clean them. If you use a pure soap cleaner it does the same job but cheaper. You can use old fashioned soap flakes or when i needed some the other week you can buy liquid soap washing liquid. I got mine in the local waitrose and lists washing waterproofs on the label and is cheaper than their own waterproof clothing washing liquid on the same shelf.

14. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire