Tec Vs Hagon Fork Springs

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Polyphenia, Dec 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    Hi. I have a 2017 T120, a few months ago I replaced the rear shocks with Hagon Nitros and the handling is so much better. Now I want to change the stock fork springs. Should I go Tec or Hagon? More interested in handling than price or the effort required to install. Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 3
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi Polyphenia,

I have TEC progressives in front, and YSS ECO in rear. Fairly happy with this setup. TEC gas shocks for rear are appalling, but I have no issues whatsoever with their front springs. Have had them for 3 years, quite happy with them.

If in doubt, however, and money is not an issue, I'd still go with Hagon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Slight thread hijack, I've got YSS shocks on my Bonnie, ride seemed much improved but I noticed if I bounce on the seat they make a noticeable clunk, don't seem to be bottoming out, and as I say the ride seems ok, just wondering if yours did that?

Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    Thanks I was starting to get that impression, better tell Santa :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    Thanks Mischa, seems everyone has the same opinion. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    Thanks Half Ton must admit I never thought of linear springs being an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    Thanks Half Ton must admit I never thought of linear springs being an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    I have Hagon Nitros no problems with bottoming out but very positive especially on roundabouts :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I have the TEC front progressive springs and adjusters on my Tracer and here's my review.
    Both items look good quality;
    Easy to install;
    Adjusters REALLY work !!!!! You can genuinely feel the difference.
    Came with good instructions.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Polyphenia

Polyphenia New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    UK
    Thanks big lad

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Polyphenia.
    Welcome to the Family. I have always used Hagon front and back. I like the fact you talk to them and they build shocks and springs around your info. But I might have a look at the TEC now my self. You know the inmates will want a picture. Keeps them quite while nursey medicates them.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

14. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nitros on back and TEC progresive in forks both fine

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome Poly.

I've got Ikons front and back on my SE Bonnie. Definite upgrade so I'd recommend Ikon if they make for your bike.

I bought TEC gas shocks and progressive springs for my Street Twin. Having examined the shocks I sent them back for a refund - they are simply not sturdy enough with way too much flex and are obviously built to a price from a 'parts bin'. I did fit the progressive springs. I'm seriously considering replacing them with Ohlins, YSS, Hagon or similar quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Hi & welcome!
    If funds run to it put a cartridge kit in the forks, otherwise Hagon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I've done front and rear suspension on my 09' America, no name un branded springs in the forks with emulators fitted , went for IKON's on the rear. The bushes wore out on rear shocks (6years) so I bought some cheap tec shocks. I cannot tell the difference !
    Any change to suspension done with thoughtful planning and set to your weight and requirements will be a big improvement over std !!
    I've done 113,000 klms over nine years, biggest handling improvement for the cheapest and least out lay , do the head stem bearings, change to tapered roller bearings, next best cheapest do the rear shocks , spring rate and adjustability the area to concentrate on , mine are threaded so infinitely variable ! My front springs were ordered to suit my use (I tow) so quite stiff ones were supplied, I have no Sag on front end without me on it and only about 8-10 mm when two up ! So I have adjusted front end by dropping the triple tree's down about 18 mm. To get the ride height back to std with std Sag ! It really handles well with these mods ! Just think it round corners ! Where you look is where you go... !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    YES! I tried to locate the issue, never manage to find it. I can't feel any resistance, and it's not very loud, just a small nuisance to my OCD when it comes to bike maintenance. Keeps me on edge. Probably a good thing. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Leek
    Hiya, I would forget about buying Tec replacement parts if i was you, I've thrown my Tec suspension in next doors skip, it was a complete load of rubbish, Hagon have been building shocks and springs for years so it's a no brainer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Belated welcome and seasons greetings, Poly, looking forward to your bike pics and outcome of front spring install

• Agree Agree x 1