tbird 900 starting problems

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by tbird, Feb 26, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tbird

tbird New Member

Feb 26, 2015
    trentside
    Hi, when I press the starter button sometimes it turns over half a turn and then skids out, any ideas lads?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Is this an EFi bike? If it is, there is a known issue with the ECU monitoring the battery charge level and if it considers that the level is low, it will give the symptoms you describe - if I've understood them correctly.

If it's an earlier 3 cylinder model it could could the sprag clutch on it's way out.

Provide full details of the bike and you'll get more response - we're not mind readers ;):(

3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The 900 is the triple, and the sprag clutch could be suspect. Is the battery FULLY charged? It needs to be as a poor battery encourages sprag clutch woes - and you don't want that!!:eek: I believe that the sprag makes strange noises if it's fercked, but I've not had any problems with mine yet - so far - but I suppose there's still time, so no first hand knowledge.

4. tbird

tbird New Member

Feb 26, 2015
    trentside
    Hi, it's the 1998 Thunderbird 900 (not the Sport), carb model, with about 40,000 on the clock, just fitted a new battery and that'll be checked today. thanks, Rob

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Rob, did you do the normal battery commissioning procedure?

1. Fill battery with supplied acid, then leave for at least 30mins to settle and soak;
    2. Charge for at least 3hrs, then leave to settle for 1 hour before installing in the bike.

6. tbird

tbird New Member

Feb 26, 2015
    trentside
    I did all that and I also tried jumping the battery with the car battery to no avail

7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    hate to say this but usually if the starter turns a bit then skids the sprag has gone.was there ever a screeching sound or a clonk?
    yuo have done the battery bit, from my own experience with my Sprint, the battery has to be in tip top condition or this happens. I think you will find you have to remove the engine and split it in half to replace the starter on this bike, the same as mine was. It cost me the bigger part of a grand to have mine done, I had other things done at same time so cannot say exactly now. Sometimes there is a fix using a spring from an oil seal but I cannot say how successful this is,read this, you still have to split the lump I believe
    http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/400386-could-this-work-for-us.html
    there is loads of stuff on the forums in there about sprag repairs

8. Jamie leng

Jamie leng New Member

May 26, 2018
    Watford
    Hi there I have a 1995 triumph thunderbird I'm having starting issues. When I start it it's making a loud clonking noise like metal hitting metal sometimes it starts and others it don't can someone please help

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  10. Jamie leng

Jamie leng New Member

May 26, 2018
    Watford
    Oh no

11. Jamie leng

Jamie leng New Member

May 26, 2018