Tale Of Woe -- Keyless Ignition On S. Triple Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fitz Brundage, Dec 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    ...and I sincerely wish you well on that front!

Make sure you put in for a free annual service (or two) from Triumph - they certainly owe you something in terms of compensation.

2. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I took the battery cover off to have a look (1.5mm hex key) and then removed three torx screws (microtorx 0.6) and the battery, but it makes a 'glue unsticking' sound as you prize it apart from the keyring end...and the key blade end doesn't budge a millimetre. Got scared and put it back together o_O

3. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Alternatively, you can probably knock the pin out with an old drill bit and a hammer...but I'm definitely not trying that.

Image.jpeg

4. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    This post, I hope, marks the end of this saga. I have my bike back, as well as a wad of keys. For the time being I will have to carry one of the old passive keys to open the seat compartment. But I don't much care about that.

I do want to single out Ryan and the folks at Select Cycle in Greensboro, NC. They couldn't have been nicer or more conscientious. Not so sure about Triumph. I love the bike but I'm not so sure about the manufacturer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Thank you for sharing this .... only had mine 1 week and I was genuinely thinking “surely I need to keep one passive key with me at all tones ?!” .... seems like I may well do !!!

6. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Really glad your “sorted” pal

7. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I think that’s pretty disgusting considering the premium status of the Triumph brand. I’d be kicking up a right stink, the point of keyless is that you only need to keep your active key in the pocket bit carry around another one in case you need to open the seat!

Rant over!

8. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    A sorry tale and sound advice, thanks. Will review this and see if I am sorted with the keys and fob.
    I had a new Volvo with keyless locking, my wife didn't believe it worked, so in order to try it out she locked the car and then walked up to it to ensure the locks worked. Guess what...……….
    She came back in to the house and said,
    " that car isn't working properly, the locks do not auto lock. When I walk up to it I can get the doors open every time "
    I asked where the key was, " in my pocket" was the reply.

She's not blonde, honest !

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Slightly off topic but I did manage to lock myself out of my motorbike once....

I had an RD 250F Yamaha with the 2 stroke tank under the seat.
    One Saturday morning topping up the oil, I left the key on the tool tray beneath the seat. Finished the top up and then slammed the seat shut...…..
    To be fair, I am blonde !

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Does anyone know if these caps can be used with the givi tank lock system?
    I’m off to the show tomorrow and may have to splurge on one

11. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Just checked my passive spare keys, she a genuine lady, with a difficult to find sweet spot.... but once found, she’ll pur like a kitty :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Took mine to a dealership not long ago and had the tyres changed over, whilst there I asked for the 2 spare keys to be tested ..... took them 20 minutes to find the sweet spot (cue a million jokes) which as stated above is about a 1cm square spot and nothing else will do (cue even more gags) .... the "interesting" part was that they said they'd heard about the issues but was the first time they'd tried it .... mine work which is great and the dealers have now tried this out too so hopefully will help others

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    30 minutes lol, I’ve used the spare key several time working on the bike over the winter to turn it on and never found it difficult to find it. Maybe they should turn the lights off or better yet, put some hair around the sweet spot :p.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Arno Triple:
    Sounds like you had more fun doing it than I did. :eek:

I think the Triumph dealers should do the test with every STriple they sell before they send the customer down the road. I'm glad that so far no one else has apparently had my bad luck.

On the upside, the bike has been flawless since I got it back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    After reading through this you'd think they'd walk you through how to use your space in the event that you'd need to. I know what I'll be testing out this week.

16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    My dealer did, although it still took them a while to find the 'sweet spot' to show me :D

17. Korey Payne

Korey Payne New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Iowa
    I'm lost, where is this so called " Sweet spot" on the 2019 triumph speed triple RS & will this allow me to start my bike with the two keys provided by the dealer with out having to have the keyless fob in range of the bike?

18. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    The sweet spot is above the rearshock reservoir, hold the key against the black plastic and move it around slightly, whilst holding down the ignition button. Take you’re time, it’s a very small sweetspot, but you’ll find it!

Ps: yes, it should work without the fob within range

• Agree Agree x 1