765 Taking A Leak!

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by StreetRS1981, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StreetRS1981

StreetRS1981 Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    Well, after 7 months of ownership of my RS, it has an oil leak for a THIRD TIME!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really really ****ed off with this issue now!

Back in October, it went back to the dealership - they tightened up the bolts and gave it a clean; I rode it back to work, only to find the leak was much worse - almost to the point that you could see the droplets forming!! One trip back, and I left it with them, as I rode into the sun on the 765 R :(

I believe that they had replaced a gasket, and it seemed like everything was fine and dandy, for the last month of so of riding before winter hibernation. The recent spell of great weather, has mean the bike has come out of hibernation, and after 3-4 days of riding, the above happened.

Contacted Triumph directly to moan, who called the dealer, but didn't apparently discuss much - maybe fact checking my claim? They came back with an apology email, and I have since booked it back in with the dealer (who are ace); I am REALLY hoping that this issue can be put to bed now - as I'm losing the love for Triumph over this!

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Let's hope they get it sorted, don't hear of too many issues with the Street RS (unlike it's bigger brother :mad:).

I had mine about 15 or 16 months and did over 5,500 trouble free miles ... and I ride like a tw@t!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    << ... and I ride like a tw@t! >>

No .... no .... I'm not gonna say anything. No, mustn't.

Seriously, though. As frustrating and inconvenient as this must be, I'm pretty sure that a patient and calm approach will see it sorted.

Any new bike can, occasionally have problems - just look at what happened to the 2015 Yamaha R1 - and, as Bad Billy said, the Street doesn't have a reputation for either poor build quality or suspect reliabilty.

Hope it's sorted out satifactorily soon - then you can follow Bad Billy's exapmle and ... uhmmmmmm....... ride like a tw@t!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yep ... instant idiot, just add motorcycle!

• Like Like x 2
  5. StreetRS1981

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    Already do - that's probably what keeps killing it :D

6. StreetRS1981

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    Maybe not that much of a tw@t ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. StreetRS1981

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    Prior to giving her a bloody good clean, I took photos of the leak - after 3-4 days of not using it.

My nuts are now pretty dry:
    [​IMG]

Noticed oil running down the outside of the breather pipes:
    [​IMG]

And it pooling on a pipe near the sprocket cover:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw a thread on another forum, which mentioned a washer/gasket on the front drive sprocket failing - with the oil marks where they are; I guess this is a possibility - certainly if it's being flicker forward by the front sprocket itself.

Posting the above just in case anyone else has a leak in the future - my RS is booked in this Wednesday with Triumph, so hoping it finally gets sorted!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. John Kat

John Kat New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Paris, France
    Hi, my wife's RS has exactly the same problem!
    The dealer here in France believes that the crankcase is porous and is waiting for a response from Triumph UK to get another engine.
    How did your issue get sorted out?

9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    YIKES :dizzy: sounds a bit drastic....
    Im going to run outside and take a look at mine.

10. John Kat

John Kat New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Paris, France
    I went by the dealer today to look at the oil leak.
    In fact it's just below the oil pressure sensor, totally hidden from view as it sits almost in the middle of the engine.
    When the engine is running small bubbles appear through the casting...
    The oil then gathers somewhere in the crankcase before spilling out when the bike is ridden.
    BTW in their showroom there was a Speed Triple RS with a small poodle of oil under the engine!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. StreetRS1981

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    Hi John.

Touch wood (my head!) the leak has completely gone now - I believe it was coming from a seal/gasket within the drive shaft 'chamber' - that presumably meant it was making its way to the front sprocket - which in-turn flicked it all over the place; making it a bit of a wild goose chase previously.

I read on another forum/here that this was the place to look - so specifically asked my dealer to do just that; and it seems to be all good now, certainly for the last 2,000 miles.

Hope you get ti sorted out :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. John Kat

John Kat New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Paris, France
    Hi Street RS,
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I believe we will get an answer from Triumph France tomorrow....
    Wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Kat

John Kat New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Paris, France
    Good news!
    Triumph has decided to replace the engine under warranty.
    Now, I don't know how long it's going to take but the message is very positive.
    It's amazing how one can feel happy despite having to change the engine after 200 km and without knowing when the bike will be on the road again?
    Hope keeps us alive!

• Like Like x 4
  14. John Kat

John Kat New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Paris, France
    The new engine has been delivered and we drove back home yesterday!
    Not a drop of oil to be seen:cool:
    I took a picture of the old block but it's almost impossible to see where the leak came from.
    It's apparently the size of a pinhole and it's only when the engine is running that little bubbles appear.
    My wife let me ride the bike today and I was amazed by the difference with her previous 2016 Street Triple R.
    Surely the best bike under 1000 cc!

IMG_1647.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ticky Jaya

Ticky Jaya New Member

May 19, 2022
    Singapore

With Regards to this, what was the issues though? My 2017 Street Triple RS currently is facing this leak.