Taking A Bike To The Uk For Hols

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by IanSA, Dec 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. IanSA

IanSA New Member

A few blokes and myself are interested in shipping our bikes to the UK from South Africa for a tour to include maybe the TT or the North West 200.
    Question: what's involved in keeping on the right side of the law.. How does one get insurance for a few weeks. Are there issues with bike licences or registration? we all have full drivers licence
    How sticky are the police on the type of pipe (noise) etc

• Like Like x 1
  2. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    tbh with costs involved in shipping etc wouldn't you be better at looking to hire bikes once youre here

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    • Funny Funny x 5
  4. IanSA

IanSA New Member

At least you guys ride on the correct side of the road (same as SA), my poor little brain could not handle the confusion of a round about with traffic coming the wrong way
    I take the point of hiring, but forbid the thought of riding a Harley or some such

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #5 thebiglad, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Hi Ian and welcome in. Re the insurance side of things, is it possible for you to get your SA insurance to cover you during the period of your holidays?

In Europe ALL insurers must provide cover for all European countries (and many others as well).

As for exhaust noise, my advice would be, so long as you don't ride like a twat you won't get pulled and even if you do, you'll be riding SA-reg bikes so it's unlikely you'll have a problem. But as always, it depends just noisy your bikes are ?

6. sam triple

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. IanSA

IanSA New Member

Will check with SA insurance..
    Here it is not compulsory to have motor insurance,,,its covered in your petrol purchase, known as road accident fund.. although that has gone for a ball and chalk now, and pity anyone trying to claim against it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    :confused::confused::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

9. IanSA

IanSA New Member

it sure is a problem as most road user are not insured, for those than can afford they will have fully comp insurance especially if they drive/ ride every day

10. IanSA

IanSA New Member

thanks Sam Triple. that link is usefull..
    I would never be able to face my mates again if they new I had ridden a Harley :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. sam triple

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    I wouldn't/ couldn't do that to anyone

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You'll need to get insurance in SA. How long do you intend to spend here ?
    A mate of mine air freighted his bike across to Canada earlier this year and back for just over £2,000 as it was cheaper than hiring a bike. But he did spend ten weeks in the USA and Canada. Other than that, consider your luggage. Bike gear is bulky. If you fly your bike over here you may be able to send some gear with the bike, check with the carrier.

13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland