Tachometer Glitch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by lessha, Apr 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lessha

lessha New Member

Apr 27, 2021
    Kansas City
    I recently got a 2006 America; love it, but hard to have a bike with no tach. All the info I can find says the Speedmaster tach should work, so I put one in. Worked fine, til I turned the bike off--indicator needle stayed at final reading. Next time, tach seemed to work but started from the last rpm number; on turn off, stayed at the final number again--final rpm plus first stuck.
    Seller sent a replacement; exact same result.
    Any ideas of the problem? Something in the bike, or just bad luck?

2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Never heard of this on Triumphs but I know it can happen on Suzuki Bandits ( I used to have one ). Indeed, the workshop manual details how to reset the needle to zero by pressing the "SEL" (select) button on the dash, turning the ignition on and then holding the button in for 5 - 7 seconds, then pressing it quickly twice. There may be some similar procedure for the America (I do not know). If you can get hold of a copy of the Triumph Manual, it may hold your answer.:confounded::confounded:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. lessha

lessha New Member

Apr 27, 2021
    Kansas City
    Thanks; unfortunately, no buttons, whistles or bells on the Triumph tach. The manual I found tells me what color wires connect to the tach, but that's about it; zero about the instrument itself. The hunt goes on, tho.

4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Then if it's not a compatabilty issue I'm stuck. Have you tried tapping on the glass ? Do you live up a mountain where it's very cold ? Do you have mountains in Kansas ?

5. lessha

lessha New Member

Apr 27, 2021
    Kansas City
    Dude, Kansas doesn't even have hills. I've passed tapping to rapping and striking affirmatively; not a jiggle. I need a shop visit anyway, I'll see what experts have to say. Even not working, it looks better than the filler emblem, so that's something.