T595 Woes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Simon Bunker, Aug 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Hi All,

New member to the forum and new to Triumph ownership. So, I picked up on Sunday a nice 1997 T595 from a private sale. Rode the bike for about 40 mins and ran lovely and put a real smile on my face. Went back to the bike in the evening, she fired on first stab of the starter, settled into a nice idle and after about 15ish secs promptly died and now refuses to start. Starter sounds ok with no clunks etc. I'm thinking something fuel related as the garage stinks of petrol although no signs of leakage anywhere.

The bike had a brand new battery last week before I picked it up and like I say was starting on the button with no issues.
    One other point of note - when the bike had been run for a while the "Neutral" light would not illuminate even though the bike was in neutral, yet when it was cold the light comes on no problem.
    I'm no mechanic but would appreciate any pointers.
    Many thanks in advance
    Simon

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Check battery voltage as a non charging bike will run for a while then die as it drains the battery

The neutral light is a common issue check the switch is working then I would remove the switch put hylomar or similar on the threads and refit the switch without the sealing washer this should help with the warming up causing the light to fail by seating the switch a little further into the gearbox.
    You may need to drain some or all of the oil to do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just a thought, how old do you reckon the fuel in the tank was?
    Only asking as I had an issue with my Street 765RS when I put fuel in out of a can that was apparently contaminated, bike ran like a pig then stopped, completely drained the tank then added fresh fuel and after a little coughing and spluttering it cleared and ran fine.

4. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Hi Bad Billy - It was a fresh tank of fuel when I picked it up.
    Cheers Simon

5. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Thanks Oldyam - I have a check of the voltages over the next couple of days.

6. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Right - I fully charged the battery over night. Connected it up this morning and still just turns over and nothing fires. Can hear the fuel pump priming when the ignition is switched on. Have checked all the fuses and they look fine.

The stench of fuel is quite strong but no signs of any leakages.

Any ideas of what to look for next?

"Should have stuck with Honda!!!" :)

7. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    If its not leaking fuel but smells of fuel, maybe the plugs aren't firing and fuel is getting in your exhaust. Looks like you need to go back to basics - check fuel, plugs, spark, compression, etc. if its turning over there should be enough juice in the battery for it to run.
    Do you have a local bike shop who can do a quick fault finding exercise for you ?

Good luck anyway - its a B**** when a new purchase lets you down . Have you triwed asking previous owner ?

8. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. Yes I think it will have to be back to basics. Local bike shop is booked up and the earliest I can get in is the end of August.
    So the chap I bought the bike off inherited it from his friend who passed away unexpectedly so he doesn't really know much other than he ran it out a couple of times with no issues and I had a good 40 miles or so on it before it gave up the ghost.
    I'll keep plugging away so to speak :)

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Although the battery is "fully charged " have you checked the voltage ?
    both at rest and during cranking ?

If I remember correctly some of the triumph ecu's were voltage sensitive when it came to starting to prevent starter problems, even though its cranking there may be no spark or insufficient spark to start the bike.

10. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Hi Oldyam - So prior to cranking the battery was showing 12.7 v during cranking it was down to about 10.5 v.

11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Ok that's fine, both should be within the allowances.

Be aware that the fuel line fittings can be easily broken when removing them from the tank plate connectors and to mark each fuel hose to its own connector to ensure correct refitting order.

As already mentioned check the basics

Have you tried restarting the bike since the initial failure, but, after the fuel has had time to evaporate away ?

12. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    I left it for two days since it failed. I'll try and go through the basics when I get some free time. Failing that I'll get it to a bike shop to look at.
    Rapidly becoming a regretful purchase!!

13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    OK - 2 things to say before I dive in on this one.

First - I'm NOT a mechanic/technician and am not really qualified to advise on really technical stuff but, like most old British motorcycle riders (in both senses of the term!), I've been through the mill on more than one occasion when looking to find a mysterious failure.

Second - I suspect nobody on here wants to see you regret your purchase (unless you want to sell it to me for a song in a fit of pique'd frustration! :)) and I don't think anybody would want you to think that sticking with a Honda would have been a better - or necessarily more reliable - choice!

Now, may I suggest we go back to basics? The bike ran well for 40 or so miles - well enough to put a smile on your face. You then switched it off and returned to it sometime later (but the same evening, yes?) when it started but died. So, it had all the basic ingredients for running (fuel, oxygen and spark) but one of them 'disappeared' - and hasn't re-appeared since. You say that the injector pump primes and that there's a smell of fuel but no sign of a leak, so I'd suggest it's a fairly safe bet to assume that the fuel hasn't disappeared, and we can also assume that there's enough oxygen in the air of your garage to supply the requisite oxygen, SO ....... it's clearly most likely to be the spark that's gone AWOL.

I'd venture to suggest that the fuel smell - if you're adamant there are no damp patches anywhere - is down to unburnt fuel being expelled through the exhaust and remaining in the atmosphere. If, however, the smell remains, say overnight, then further investigation might be needed.

Yeah, I know, it's a hell of a coincidence that an electrical component should suddenly fail in these circumstances, but I'm pretty sure that eliminating the implausible (not impossible) will lead us to the prime suspect even if that is still highly improbable! Can't remember if the kill switch locks out the starter on these but it's worth checking it's not engaged.

So, if you're willing to do the basics, how do you fancy taking the tank off and pulling at least one spark plug? Then at least, we'll know if we've got the third requisite element? If you can do at least that much it might just save you a long wait for the repair shop work and a big bill. I don't know these models, but, if you're REALLY desperate I will happily come up sometime (not far away being near Wellington in Somerset) and give you a hand if you get a Haynes or Triumph manual.

Failing that, I can bring my trailer and cheque book ........;)

Good luck,

Adie

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    What a brilliant and concise analysis of the best way to solving the problem, and even an offer of help, what a gent you are sir, that is why this is indeed the best forum on the net - because of its friendly helpful members - (hence why I am still lurking around after the Triumph has gone!).

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Could be connected to your neutral light problem and the cut out switch on the side stand.
    Try started (clutch in of course) with the side stand UP

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Very kind of you to say, so - thank you.

Yes, I'll happily try my best to help out any fellow motorcyclist but will go an extra mile - or three - if it's a Triumph. Depending on where in Bristol the OP is, I'd be more than happy to pitch up and help - what goes around comes around!

Thanks BB.

Regards,

Adie

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Hi Adie and many thanks for your response and your most kind offer of helping me out. I would like to take you up on your offer as and when you are available. I finish work next week due to redundancy so will have some time on my hands then. I have the haynes manual and plenty of tools! alternatively £1k and she is yours!!

let me know what works for you time wise and I'm sure we can sort something out.
    Regards
    Simon

18. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Hi Rocker - I've tried that and still the same symptoms but thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Simon

19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON

20. Simon Bunker

Simon Bunker New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol
    Big thanks to all whom have offered advice on this issue - really much appreciated.
    What a great community :)

• Like Like x 1