T595 Fork Oil. Which Grade?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wheelnut, Oct 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wheelnut

Wheelnut Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Alston
    One of the fork seals has popped on my 1998 Daytona T595 so I'm just about to order the parts. Seals are no problem, but trying to find out which grade of fork oil to use has defeated me.

It's not in the owner's manual, can't find it by googling, and can't even find a mention on this forum, although it must be here somewhere.

Anyway, can any of you wise folk enlighten me as to whether to order 5w, 10w, 15w or whatever?
    Much appreciated!

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #2 Callumity, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wheelnut

Wheelnut Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Alston
    I reckon the above list of fork oil specs offers more questions than answers, and it certainly makes a mockery of quoted viscosity by the makers.

But, if the Showa 07 oil is standard - and this seems to be unobtainable - a fairly close substitute seems to be Motul 5w Factory Line, so I've ordered that to give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bananaracer

bananaracer New Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Dunmow, Essex
    I need to refresh my fork oil too (for a 955i) - has anybody else done this and can they recall what grade they used?

5. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I know this is an old thread but I need to know too.
    The manual lists Showa SS-8 which some say is 10wt. Obviously things have changed in almost 25 years. Anyone have an idea on the best oil for the T595 forks? I can get Castrol 10w fork oil for less than £15 for 1.5litres. Each fork takes 589mm then set the air gap at 76mm once you’ve pumped the damper rod.

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    The general concensus of opinion seems that 10w oil is closest to the Showa SS8 spec. I would think that any major oil company's 10w fork oil would be fine, as I'm sure Castrol will be.

7. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    Cheers Dave. I’ve been pointed in the direction of this oil selection chart which changes the way the selection criteria applies and uses something other than viscosity. Apparently a better match for the SS-8 is Silkolene RSF7.5.

https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

• Useful Useful x 1