T595 Best Profile Tyre For Handling?

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by StuarT595, Apr 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    I’ve heard of people fitting non-standard rear tyres and getting better handling from doing so. I need to buy a new rear tyre, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

#2 Smilinjack, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
    When you say non standard, do you mean tyre profile, or manufacturer? Not really a factory tyre as such, your choice is determined by budget, expected wear, wet grip, etc. I ran a ZZR1200 and 1050 Sprint on Maxxis Supertouring for example, very cheap, wore well, quick turn in, acceptable in the wet, frankly for most of us ordinary Joes perfectly adequate. I run Pirelli Angels on my Speed Triple. But you can spend more for better grip, better mileage. What kind of rider would you class yourself as? We need more info to give an informed answer....:)

3. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Ahh, yes, by non-standard I mean that I remembered some people were riding with different profiles and getting much better cornering out of them.
    For myself, it used to be the GPZ pegs that were hammered the most, on both wet and dry days, but nowadays I would expect to simply find myself enjoying the bends on a dry day...I think? I’m making a return to 2 wheels after nearly 20 years...I might still be crazy, I don’t know yet, my bike is not quite fixed yet! :)

4. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

#4 Smilinjack, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
    I guess you probably have 180/55 x 17 rear, 120/70 x 17 front? If so stick to them. Pirelli Angel is a good all rounder, although l'm considering going for a Diablo Rosso lll on the front, see if l can get a bit easier turn in. Maxxis- l had both pegs down on my Sprint without problems, or leaving me needing a change of underwear. They went into corners incredibly easily. I've had Road Attacks, they're OK but didn 't blow me away. Any of the front line manufacturers are unlikely to disappoint-Metzeler, Michelin, etc. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Amazing reply, SJ, thank you so much for that...will check what’s on the rims tomorrow.
    That’s the definitive measure of a good set of tyres, whether you need a good set of pants to go with them :joy:
    Have a great evening, and many thanks again,
    Stuart

6. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Just had a quick gleg at your bike's spec, l can see now what you've got in your mind. It wears a 190/55 rear tyre. A number of bikes do, some Speed Triples l think, the old ZX12R, possibly Tuono V twin. Going to a 180/55 is reckoned by a fair few folk to speed up the steering. That's what you're driving at l think. If it were me it's something l would consider doing. Equally, good tyre choice can make that difference too. Could possibly, if you're able, drop the front yokes down the stanchions a few mm. My 1200 Bandit and VFR steered much more quickly after dropping the yokes 5mm. And that takes no putting back if you're not happy, unlike a tyre :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    It was a common mod to swap the original 190 section tyre for a 180. Both sizes fit the rear rim. I put a 180 on mine and personally think it improved the handling.
    Triumph fitted the 190 section back then when it was the current trend. Design over function that didn't last long, thankfully. Plenty more tyre options to choose from by fitting the 180.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Blimey, so much knowledge on this forum...thank you SO much, really given me food for thought! Really curious now about what’s fitted.
    Thank you

9. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Thanks, JJ, an endorsement of what’s been said...really appreciate you adding your actual experience into the mix.
    Truly grateful,
    Stuart

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    So mine’s currently got a Bridgestone 190/50ZR17M/C
    A 50 rather than a 55?

11. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

For want of a better expression, that's a safe profile. It will give a bigger contact patch when upright or at moderate lean angles. The price is slower turn in and steering. These figures, if you aren't aware, give you an idea of the tyre's aspect ratio-a bit like a TV screen. So, 190 is further across than 180. The other figure is the tyre height, so 50 is a lower profile than a 55. Essentially, the difference between a 190/50 and 180/55 tyre would be that the latter has a "pointier" profile, ergo turn in and cornering performance increase. The tyre is narrower, but also taller. Get some paper and you can draw it. A line 180mm long, with a vertical centre line of 55mm is your aspect ratio. If you join it up into a triangle and do the same with 190/50, you may actually see the difference. Not much, but on a bike quite substantial. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    That’s been so educational, thanks a million for that, I feel like I have a little bit of understanding now.
    Whoever owned the bike before essentially rode it upright everywhere, the flat spot is something to be seen, with a proper ridge to get over into the outer tread, unbelievable.
    I’m feeling pretty sold on the 180/55 idea, and probably metzeler, for no other reason than I always had them on my GPZs of 20+ years ago.
    Honestly, thank you so much again, you’ve been a great help.

13. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I was under the impression the second number was a percentage of the first number? 180 55 would be 180mm width and 55% of 180 is 99mm height?

14. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Quite right Andy, me not thinking about what I'm typing again! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Sorry to badger you all again but, having read some more, could I have your views on using a 190/55?
    I’m also thinking that perhaps Pirelli Angel GTs are better value in the long term?

16. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Can't comment on the metzelers, but out of the road 5's and angel gt's, the angel gt's last longer. Doubt you would notice much difference between a 180 and 190 tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  17. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Thanks, Andy

18. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Sort of beat me to the punch Stuart. I was going to add the caveat that fitting a 180 tyre means you're fitting a narrower tyre than the rim was intended for, so you may lose some of the profile gains. I like Angels, got them on both my triples now. Maybe consider a little sportier front like a Diablo Rosso.
    On another note, l found a pdf Triumph workshop manual for T595 on my lappy today. Any use? :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Brilliant, will give the 190/55 a go :)
    Really nice thought re the manual, but I managed to get hold of a copy when I was fixing the head gasket. Appreciate the offer very much, though :)

20. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    What does the 75R 75W bit mean on these tyres? The tyre currently fitted on the bike is 73W :worried:

251E3BBE-EC63-4141-BA3D-946E0F815186.jpeg