T509 1997 Speed Triple 2nd Gear Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by IlContePier, Jan 4, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. IlContePier

IlContePier New Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Italy
    Hi everyone,
    i really need some help here.
    I recently bought a wonderful T509 from 1997. Bike is perfect but after i've been riding it for a while (100 miles) i started having an issue (the last owner said he never had it, i doubt but i cannot demonstrate).

Bike rides very well, but when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, 95% of the time it skips 2nd gear and goes straight to "N", so then i have to shift up to go in 2nd gear. I had a full engine oil change before even riding it.

You can imagine how annoying and unsafe it is.

Anyway, i just want to solve it but there is no specialized mechanic over here that has enough experience on these old Triumphs, and before putting someone else hands on my loved bikes i'd like to better understand what the problem could be with the help of some experts here.

Thanks guys!

2. 57 Chevy

57 Chevy New Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Staffordshire
    2nd gear on most bikes often suffer more damage than any other gear. I guess it's a combination of going through neutral rather than meshing from a previous gear. Plus the fact most riders start to roll on the power in 2nd as there is less chance of lifting the front wheel than nailing the bike in 1st.
    As you have tried an oil change already without success. Try adjusting the gear change linkage to remove as much slack as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  3. IlContePier

IlContePier New Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Italy
    thanks a lot for your suggestion, i'm going to investigate it and give it a try.

• Like Like x 1