T300d Vesus T300a -engine Specs

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Khamsin, Jun 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Galati
    Hello everyone!

Last year I've bout a Daytona 900 from 1995 for a CRK roadster project without doing my home work regarding the Law requests in my country for this kind of modifications so I did have to abandon the idea and finally I have ended up with the motorcycle from the pictures.
    I have encountered some troubles with the engine as the motorbike was a non runner at the time and finally I've got the engine going beautiful.The engine I have on the Daytona is a T300 D-98 HP-Mikuni Carbs .

Because I like this final product I have decided to buy a spare motorbike-Sprint Executive 900 from 1998 and it came with Keihin carburetors and T300A engine with 90 HP in the documents.

From the internet I have found different sources of info and all of them not indicating the same power.
    Where the difference between the 2 engines is coming from in terms of power?
    It is worth fixing the Keihins for a Daytona setting?
    Thank You!

Daytona 900.jpg

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Most likely the difference relates to compliance for different markets/countries ! Since EFI bikes from Triumph has become the norm , all bikes come out of the factories mechanically the same , just the ECU mapping is now set to suit different countries regulations !

Just get the bike running the best you can as it is !! You can get better throttle response by drilling out the vacuum bypass ports in the throttle pistons, these are located beside the needles in the piston ... A very small increase in diameter gives quicker lift/response= more power / torque ! Lift the needles slightly Too and you will then get a few extra Ponies (HP). I did this on 1994 Trident, lifted needles using fibre washers (from electronic store) made mmy bike 15 to 20 kph faster and better acceleration ! Could lift the front wheel in first three gears !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, Khamsin.
    I tend to agree with Capt as to the state of tune being dependent on the country in which the bike was originally sold. As a rule, all 900 engines produce a claimed 98 bhp with the exception of Thunderbirds (69bhp or 85bhp (or thereabouts) for the Sport version) and the Daytona Super 111 (115bhp) which was tuned by Cosworth. Local rules and regulations may produce variations.
    Carburettors are usually Mikuni, although later versions may well have Keihins fitted. Sadly I don't know when the change was made or even if it was just a case of getting carbs from wherever they could, as a '98 model would be one of the last produced by Triumph before switching over completely to the newer fuel injected engines and the original carb'd machines being taken out of production. However, as far as I am aware the power output/characteristics were not affected by the make of carburettors alone and were the same throughout production (dependent on local rules etc.).
    Enjoy your bikes.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Khamsin

Khamsin New Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Galati
    Hello guys!
    Thanks for the info!
    I am kind of looking at changing the air filter with K&N pods and looking around for some tested carburetor jets I couldn't find some exact data.I know that the middle one is with different main jet.
    I am as well waiting for the SuperTrapp exhaust to come and install them with 9 discs each for a start.
    All advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The middle main jet is different size, bigger I believe so the middle cylinder doesn't run hot , because if it was leaner or smaller jet it would cause centre cylinder to run Too hot. Outer cylinders get some direct cooling , middle one is bracleteb by outer two cylinders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. David Lyon

David Lyon New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Australia
    This is what I'm going for

7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi David ,

There's been no activity on this thread for two years. What bike do you have and what part of this huge island called OZ do you hail from ?

I'm in Northam WA , so could possibly help out !!

• Like Like x 1
  8. David Lyon

David Lyon New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Australia
    I from Coromandal Valley S.A ,I ride a '98 Trident.

9. David Lyon

David Lyon New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Australia
    Hi,opps I typed in wrong area soz mate.I'm live in Coromandel Valley,S.A.I ride a '98 Trident.

10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Ok a bit far for hands "on" help ! I had a 94 trident for six years , sold it in 2000 for a 99/00 sprint 955

11. David Lyon

David Lyon New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Australia
    Should have hung onto it they are getting rare,I have a friend in NZ who has a '95 nice era to '98 I reckon .I bought mine off a guy ,12 years ago ,who's wife said it was too uncomfortable ,so he bought a '99 sprint also.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Aaah! A man of excellent taste in motorcycles!!:grinning: