T300 Sprag Pre Emptive Strike?????

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Vecchio lupo, Oct 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Senior Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    Gentlemen, and Ladies I presume,

I'm new here, but I did a couple searches prior to posting in an effort to not duplicate. I have just acquired a 96 Sprint 900 with 34k kilometres , so about 22k miles. It is in very good cosmetic condition and it is the start of my CRK Cafe Racer project for the winter. My question is........Should I change the sprag clutch to the upgrade part for no other reason than I'll have the engine out anyway? I've consulted the all powerful and knowing Youtube and it appears like its not that big of a job (I have some skills) but I don't want to throw money at unnecessary problems.

What is the group thought on just change it and never worry vs. if it aint broke don't fix it ?

Thanks

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If you have an engine with a rectangular access cover on top of the crankcase behind the cylinders, then the job is (allegedly) relatively easy, if time consuming. That cover gives access to the starter sprag clutch.
    If you have an engine (which I'm sure you will have) without the aforementioned cover, then you have a big job on your hands (apparently).
    Never had the need to attend to mine, so far, and hopefully never will ('95 Trident 900, 53,000 miles).
    Keep your battery fully charged and you should not have a problem. Trying to start your engine with a tired battery is what usually causes the damage, and that's not an exclusively Triumph problem - my 1972 Suzuki GT550J had the same thing happen, but it also had a kickstarter fitted, so no worries there!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    If you have worries in sprag replacemebt Clive Wood does maintainance courses covering full t3 engine strip inc sprag replacement, plus all other major issues with t3 bikes.
    Google clive wood triumph.

4. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Senior Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    thanks Gents, that's the kind of knowledge I was seeking. if it aint broke...but get smart on the subject. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1