T300 Alternator Shaft Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Clarkey231, Nov 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Hi,
    I am currently doing a project using a T300 engine which has the broken alternator shaft. The reason I know this is because whilst rotating the engine it fell out!

I’ve seen the diagram of all the bits which could potentially have fallen down into the engine so my question is after I replaced the shaft which did go in after realignment of the bits n pieces inside with a thin screwdriver, could it be possible I’ve ‘got away with it’ and it all flukely stayed in place or will something of definitely fallen?

I haven’t done anything for ages but I’m keen to crack on so my plan was to remove the sump and look and also gently spin the engine by hand to check it moves freely?

Anything else I can try?

Cheers in advance.

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Hi Clarkey123

Listen very carefully as you turn the motor over to see if you can hear anything loose inside ?

Being as your engine has not got the inspection cover on the top you cant even check without splitting the motor as far as I know, so its a matter of if you want to take the chance or not.

However I believe that the cavity that the spacer falls into goes into the gearbox, I'm not sure I would want to take the chance of the spacer ending up jammed in the gears at some point.

If I've missed anything someone will no doubt point it out :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Havit had this issue

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Hi,

Thanks for the help, kinda what I thought but good to get other opinions and ideas. Time will tell, I will probably post the outcome on my project thread.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1