Featured T140e Recovery... (single Carb Conversion)

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Philb714, Jan 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    That looks neat Phil. hope it works mate. my only concern would be it getting blinded with oil fairly quick

• Like Like x 1
  2. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    That was my concern too tbh mate... whether the amount of oil mist / air would overwhelm the filter & end up on me and the bike! :confused:

The Bonnie I saw it on was owned by the guy who runs the Shropshire Classic Motorcycles...to be polite it wasn't a mint Bonnie in any shape or form shall we say, but it wasn't covered in oil so he must be doing something right... We shall see... :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #103 Philb714, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Yep, you were right mate!, the filter got soaked in oil after a short run out... change of plan then...

I have fitted a small conical filter inside the rear LH metal panel with the Primary breather pipe running up to it.
    I'm going to route/connect a new line from the crankcase breather it to the Primary breather using a 'T' piece pipe connector (just below the level of the LH coil).

Lets see how that goes....

• Like Like x 3
  4. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Good luck, sounds like it will work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    A small catch tank with external breather is the way to go and you can even have a drain tube fitted with a tap to empty it :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    My bikes with primary breathers have a pipe going to the oil tank and another off a T going to atmosphere :) dribbles a little after a thrash, i'm just in the process of making a kit for my other non primary breathers that will vent both rockerboxes as this is the main problem with Triumph twins as pressure builds in the boxes and no amount of crankcase breathing will let them vent.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    Okay...
    I'm trying something different with the look of my bike... bought a new export tank & seat...
    I fancied just keeping the tank in raw metal but 'brushing' it with Wet & Dry carbon paper and a green 'scotchbrite' pad.
    I will get it pinstriped in black and then clear lacquered over... if I don't like it it'll get painted back to standard.

Why? you ask... why not?... if we were all the same it'd be boring! :)

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    Well it sort of works, quite a bit of oil got 'ejected' through the filter, again the culprit was the crankcase breather. I removed that and refitted the static timing plug. Went out for a steady run again and only a very slight amount of oil mist appeared so its a result of sorts.

• Like Like x 2
  9. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    will look good with the pinstripes

• Like Like x 1
  10. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    I have a totally different project on at the moment designing an alloy dogleg brake lever on autocad at work (with the assistance of my Technical Design Dept. mate who I've roped in!)...
    I'm using the original lever and some photocopies of some 'Anglo' levers (I think they are ?!?) to at least have a starting point.

I've got short (Normal to me!) fingers and find the standard T140E brake lever too much of a reach so I'd thought I'd give it a go designing a lever...

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    My finger reach isn't great and the brake lever set up (for me anyway) isn't ideal so I'd thought I'd have a go at designing my own dogleg lever(s) using some photocopies (kindly provided by Erum, thanks mate!) of dogleg levers (Anglo Bike???) and using Autocad to design them. We have used measurements from a new lever to get the pivot point and other dimensions correct.

This is the standard T140e brake lever set up I currently have.
    [​IMG]

These are the photocopies of both the brake and clutch levers which I believe to be 'Anglo Bike' levers... but I stand to be corrected. (Not that I give S**t what they are tbh as I'm making my own, but needed to start from somewhere!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I (when I mean 'I' I really mean 'We'....myself and the design guy in the next office who is helping me!!) have measured the dimensions from the newly purchased brake lever to get the pivot points etc correct and started to design the shape on autocad we have at work (during my own time of course!).
    'We' copied the basic shape of the photocopied brake lever that Erum supplied me to at least get the basic idea of how it would look.
    Once we had the basic shape somewhere near what we were looking for I borrowed the laser cutter at work to cut out the basic shape in thick cardboard just to see how the lever will fit and whether the shape is correct.
    [​IMG]

Doing a trial fit, the curve / bend of the dogleg seemed to 'far out' and didn't fit my (stumpy) fingers... so a slight revision of the design was needed...

This was the second attempt.. we bought the curve of the dogleg further inboard and thickened up the whole design a little.
    [​IMG]

My fingers are now in the right place (I think) without having to stretch out.
    [​IMG]

A few more small tweaks are required yet and a trial cut on the CNC to see if it'll work (or not).

• Like Like x 4
  12. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #112 Philb714, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    My finger reach isn't great and the brake lever set up (for me anyway) isn't ideal so I'd thought I'd have a go at designing my own dogleg lever(s) using some photocopies (kindly provided by Erum, thanks mate!) of dogleg levers (Anglo Bike???) and using Autocad to design them. We have used measurements from a new lever to get the pivot point and other dimensions correct.

This is the standard T140e brake lever set up I currently have.
    [​IMG]

These are the photocopies of both the brake and clutch levers which I believe to be 'Anglo Bike' levers... but I stand to be corrected. (Not that I give S**t what they are tbh as I'm making my own, but needed to start from somewhere!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I (when I mean 'I' I really mean 'We'....myself and the design guy in the next office who is helping me!!) have measured the dimensions from the newly purchased brake lever to get the pivot points etc correct and then started to design the shape on autocad we have at work (during my own time of course!).
    'We' copied the basic shape of the photocopied brake lever that Erum supplied me to at least get the basic idea of how it would look.
    Once we had the basic shape somewhere near what we were looking for, I 'borrowed' the laser cutter at work to cut out the basic shape in thick cardboard just to see how the lever will fit and whether the shape is correct.
    [​IMG]

Doing a trial fit, the curve / bend of the dogleg seemed to 'far out' and didn't fit my (stumpy) fingers... so a slight revision of the design was needed...

This was the second attempt.. we bought the curve of the dogleg further inboard and thickened up the whole design a little.
    [​IMG]

My fingers are now in the right place (I think) without having to stretch out.
    [​IMG]

A few more small tweaks are required yet and a trial cut on the CNC to see if it'll work (or not).

Thoughts anyone...

• Like Like x 4
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looking good :)
    As long as the lever doesn’t trap your other fingers :(
    I had a bike that would do that :eek: and had to change my riding style to avoid it :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  14. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep good mock up, looks like it will achieve what you required, definately shortens the reach so long as it still achieves full braking .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    I have looked at that tbh.. Once the prototype lever is made and fitted I will see if the design needs tweaking alittle. The standard lever goes pretty solid quickly even after a slight squeeze but I take your point. I'll have to try it with my gloves on methinks! :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. John McQuilliam

John McQuilliam New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    NN12 8UX
    I

• Like Like x 1
  17. John McQuilliam

John McQuilliam New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    NN12 8UX
    I had a T140 back in the early 80's with Anglo bike doglegs along with their rear sets race cams and open megas . It was great and the levers were a real improvement. I would love a dogleg lever for my current T140 . How are you getting on with making yours. I read that Triumph actually had dog leg levers at the end on the TSS etc

• Like Like x 1
  18. El Vikingo Tropical

El Vikingo Tropical Noble Member

Jan 17, 2021
    Gran Canaria, Spain
    That tank “paint” looks great

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK