Featured T140e Recovery... (single Carb Conversion)

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Philb714, Jan 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #1 Philb714, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    After 30 odd years of owning Jap bikes I thought I'd buy this T140E off a 'mate' as he was strapped for cash...
    [​IMG]

It has aftermarket CMA wheels fitted which look okay.

[​IMG]

I knew it needed work doing to it as he told me there was a bit of engine work needed as the oil light wouldn't go off, even after he had put a new oil pump, pressure switch on. (Simple fix says me to myself...).

[​IMG]

Anyway, the bike has had a 1 3/4" SU single carb conversion done on it with the cylinder head having a welded on inlet manifold.
    [​IMG]

The previous owner had the frame & swinging arm powder coated and had recently had fitted new barrels with standard sized pistons.

All the electrics worked, albeit a bit dull & slow to glow... (like some of the previous owners of the bike as I'm to find out later).

• Like Like x 12
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Nice bike :cool:
    You’re sure to get it sorted mate :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi. Thanks for the photos keep posting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Philb714.
    Firstly welcome to the Family. That bike will keep the inmates amused for a while. Lets Nursey prepare the meds in peace and quite. Great project you have there with lots of useful mods already. You will have loads of fun on it. Keep us all in the know with the progress.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

5. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    So, what do you picture vultures want to see first? Oil Leak(s)?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much corrosion under there that's for sure!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    She leans to the left a bit more than it should I think...
    [​IMG]

And both wheels touch the floor on the center-stand...
    [​IMG]

Need to have a look at the side stand & center-stand lugs/mounting points for wear...
    Rear shocks look are longer than standard, measuring at 13.5".

• Like Like x 3
  7. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #7 Philb714, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Thought I'd tackle the running gear first before looking at the engine as its the easiest (& cheapest) to fix...

Someone had been there before me by the look of the fork tops... I think they must of had trouble dropping the forks out of the yolks...
    [​IMG]

They must of used a Half Inch socket extension and a big 'Feck-Off' hammer.... that will get the forks dropped through the yolks alright!
    [​IMG]

So the fork gaiters came off to show that the tubes were pitted and needed replacing... just as cheap to buy new as to get them rechromed so I bought new.
    Fitted new seals & tipped some 10W oil in to keep it nice n lubed.
    [​IMG]
    Stuck the forks on for this picture just to get the thing mobile in the garage... gaiters will be put back on later.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #8 Philb714, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    At the same time I did the front brake... Someone in the recent past had fitted a metric bolt to attach the front calliper... 'Nice'!...You can just about make it out in the photo... This was only one of many metric bolts made to fit imperial threads on this bike... I supposed it saved the previous owner money on using threadlock!
    [​IMG]

I had the fork leg thread repaired and a I made a new stud made at work. I will put it back to look standard with a new Bundy pipe & associated brackets & pipes.

The wheel bearings were wankered (A nice musical grating sound echoed round the garage when I spun the wheel), so they had to come out. There is no information that I can find on the CMA wheels I have so I had to be careful as I didn't know if one of the bearings might slip inside the wheel when I gave the spindle a 'tap' to remove it.
    Here's a picture of the front wheel with one bearing removed. (exciting eh?).
    [​IMG]

The spindle was not a lightweight piece of kit either, it was roughly machined from a gash bit of bar by the look of it... I had a new one machined in stainless.
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd paint the wheels in 2-pack satin black & polish the edges of the spokes & rim. (Like my LC).
    [​IMG]

I replaced the crushed stainless hose that it arrived with a new rubber one & associated Bundy pipe & bracket (see above). It didn't have a brake light switch for the front so I'm not going to fit one. (Does legally it need one to pass the MoT??? The back brake light switch actually works so I suppose its ok).
    [​IMG]

Finally fitted the Chrome Caliper cover...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  9. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    The back wheel had the same treatment... I just chucked it on to keep the thing mobile in the garage.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  10. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    I stripped the rear caliper down and sprayed it with caliper paint, a new Bundy pipe & rubber pipe were fitted. A new rear brake Master Cylinder had been fitted recently too by the previous owner so I'll have to check that before going any further.
    [​IMG]

The reservoir to master cylinder pipe was 'sweating' brake fluid... never seen that before... maybe the wrong type of hose was fitted? Anyway that got chucked for some proper brake hose.

• Like Like x 8
  11. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome to the forum, great pictures and looks like your cracking on. :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Fantastic remedial work so far, amazing what you find but all worth it to have a nice bike at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Welcome in and what a great project you have going there! It looks a like mine. I picked up a 1985 CB650 Nighthawk Honda, for pretty cheap. It Too, needs a lot of love. Mainly from years of neglect. One step at a time. Looking good so far Bro!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    After sorting Jap bikes for 30+ years I'd thought I'd seen it all but this bike takes the biscuit in some areas but it's mainly due to the previous owners lack of mechanical sympathy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Happens all the time lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Philb714
    You are doing a fantastic job. Should be proud of it. Oil is a standard commodity with the old Brits but you can eliminate most with a bit of silicon but got to be careful as some people drown the bikes in it and it is not good for the oilways.. What miles were on the bike when you got it. Always a good sign when it is still original silencers and that. Great pictures you have put up. Can't wait to see the end product.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Errrrr Is it just me who ignored the leaning Trumpet & dribbled over the bikes of my youth? KH nearly killed me & Elsie was mind blowing at 17!!!! Those were the days! haha Sorry! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    Its a bit of a squeeze in the garage with the wife's car in there as well....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #19 Philb714, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    This was the state of the Front Brake Master Cylinder... it was shagged... The Reservoir bowl was cracked and the cylinder was badly corroded inside and out. I loved the front brake pipe hose... that's going to end up on the 'shite removed pile'...
    [​IMG]

The switch gear looked a little worn out cosmetically and the internals needed cleaning properly & lubing so they could actually move and switch something...
    [​IMG]

Ended up just buying a new Master Cylinder & Repo Reservoir.
    I also bead blasted the switch gear after taking it all apart, then cleaned & acid etch primed it and sprayed it in 2-Pack satin black. The white lettering is a faff and I can't be arsed to feck about with it too much in case I feck something else up.
    I made up the short black braided steel brake hose myself from bits bought on the net.
    [​IMG]

The LH Switchgear wasn't to bad... the indicator switch was intermittent 'on off, on off' lol... the horn didn't work either so both got stripped down, cleaned & reassembled.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  20. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    #20 Philb714, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Next up was the RH headlamp ear that was bent & looked manky.
    [​IMG]

I ordered a new one online and it when it arrived I wasn't exactly pleased with the finish... it looked like there was corrosion under the paint so I stripped it off in a bucket of thinners.
    This is what was underneath the thin layer of black paint.... the rust worms had been busy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This bracket was supposedly brand new...
    I ended up bead blasting it clean, etch priming and spraying it in 2-Pack myself.
    [​IMG]

A Quality 'British Made' product my arse!..... that was shite wherever it was made.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2