T120 Warranty Issue

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by T120Newb, Jul 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    Hello All,

I will be going to purchase a 2018 T120 with 2700 miles on it, but have some concern as the owner doesn't have the owners manual and the original owner said it was serviced, but without proof or the owners manual I am hesitant due in part because if I don't have proof the warranty is null and void correct? I've also called around to a couple dealers and they haven't been able to pull any service records stating the break in service was done. The current owner stated that the original owner had the 500 mile break in service done, again I'm hesitant now because there was no receipt or proof of it being done. I was going to take it in anyway and have an oil change and filter done as well as a open recall and any ECU updates needed. Should I worry or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I would walk away mate. No service history on such a new bike would make me nervous.. two owners in 12 months would also raise alarm bells.

PS: welcome to the Fourm.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    #3 T120Newb, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    So the current owner traded his Triump Thunderbird straight up for the Bonneville. I guess the original owner wanted something larger and I was able to run the vin and there weren't any dings or issues.

EDIT: So I was able to contact the original owner and the place he had it serviced at for 500 mile break in. He took it to a non triumph dealer/service place because I think it was closer. He had everything done and then took it to a Triumph dealer to have the maintenance wrench reset. I am less hesitant now and I think I'll still pull the trigger. What say the masses? Would the warranty not being their bother you all that much?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d walk away mate, there’s lots of others around with low miles on.
    You’ve got to think about reselling it unless you’re going to run it into the ground, and the sketchy history won’t help with that.
    Welcome to the forum as well. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    So I feel confident that the initial service was done and I imagine I can get the service records for it. I plan on taking it to the Triumph dealer from here on out anyhow. As far a reselling it I don't believe that will be something I do until way down the road if at all. Would not having the comfort of warranty be that big of a deal considering there's only about a year and half left?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy T120Newb, and welcome in :cool::cool:
    If you've confirmed the first service has been done then there is no problem that I can see. Get a new service book, send it to the service centre that did it to get stamped and dated then carry on as you suggest ;);)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    Where can I get a new service book from? Would I have to order one from the dealer? Also service was done not at Triumph. Not sure if that matters just so long as it was done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Not sure about the US but over here I believe as long as it is a VAT registered business and they use original or recommended parts then the warranty remains valid ;);)
    As for the service book, yes I would get in touch with your nearest dealer, explain the situation and they should be able to help you out :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Words are cheap mate. Why did he not have the service book and pass it on when he traded the bike? Up to you, but I would walk away.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    T120Newb.
    Firstly Welcome to the Family. Secondly I agree with the peeps that say walk away. Doesn't sound right mate. Maybe if the seller took it to a Triumph Dealer and got a service and book and had it checked and the price was to good to walk away from then maybe. I take it you have done checks that it is not a crashed bike put back. Sorry mate to dodgy.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    Thanks for the warnings guys. The initial service seems to have been done, just not at Triumph. An older gentleman owned it and outfitted with a ton a farkle, like saddlebags, king/queen seat, windshield, backrest etc. I would imagine he wouldn't spend all that cash and not do an initial service on it. I plan to take it to the Triumph dealer near me to get an inspection and an oil and filter change to at least get it documented. I'm not worried, it sounds sketchy, but talking the 2nd owner and original owner I have confidence. Picked her up this evening.

20190731_200109.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. T120Newb

T120Newb New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Syracuse NY
    So the original owner contacted me and will be sending me the manual as well as first service paperwork. I'm excited to ride her and to start adding some personal touches to her!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    T12ONewb.
    Sure looks good. The inmates will love that picture black is the in thing here in the mad house. And yes sometimes you just have to go with your gut. So do enjoy the new steed.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1