T120 Suspension

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Steve Hill, May 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    I know a lot of people have upgraded the suspension on their T120's, so after a bit of research I've just ordered a pair of Bitubo rear shocks. What about the front though, are the TEC springs enough or would Bitubo cartridges be worth the extra money?

I don't ride like a loony any more and am nearly always two up. Last year I was touring on my Tiger and going up the St Gottard pass there are some cobbled sections that nearly rattled my fillings loose, at the same time I was passed by a GS that seemed to be floating on air. At that moment I decided I wanted a BMW, not a GS but maybe a 1000XR. Funny thing is, I ended up with the T120 instead but is there any way I can get the same kind of plush ride out of it or do BMW have some kind of magic suspension?

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi Steve, my advice is try the new rear shocks first :) i was less than impressed with the allround handling of my new speed twin and fitted new YSS rear shocks that improved the allround feel of the bike that i can live with the standard front end as the front end probs are only there if i realy push the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Thanks Darkman, I'll see how that goes first then. We have a few roads round here that are pretty poor, despite being major holiday routes, and it can get uncomfortable, it was worse on the Bonnie than any other bike I've ridden. Perfect roads to test out any shortcomings or potential improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes sadly the state of the roads is not just local to you, keep us updated on the results of the rear shocks :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. David Gilding

David Gilding Member

May 25, 2018
    Hampshire
    I have the TEC springs on my 120, they seem to sort it out and I do push on when one up ! No problems two up either ! Can`t comment on the cartridges as I haven`t tried them and don`t see the need too. Happy Riding !

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Will do, couple of weeks wait for delivery from Italy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    I think I'll give them a try, at that price it would be silly not to, out of stock at the moment though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Can help with discount on YSS if you go that route. The GSeries are excellent. Preload, shock length, compression and rebound adjustment.
    In black also. The lower spec z series without compression adjustment are good too at lower price. Message me if I can help. Poss Hagons too but in my opinion YSS are better.

20200227_143329.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    I looked at YSS amongst others but went with the Bitubo in the end, just been told they're on their way...all the way from Rimini. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Well I nearly shelled out £130 for the Tec springs with preload adjusters but knew I'd always wonder what the Bitubo cartridges would be like, so after a few days of sweating and worrying I ordered a set. Maybe a bit over the top but I intend to keep this bike for many years and want it to be the best it can be. Once it's all fitted I'll be up Porlock Hill and along the A39 to Lynmouth to test it out, last time I came along there it felt like I was on cross between a rocking horse and a pogo stick :worried:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    That's me off to the shed then :)

IMG_1060.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Fed Up waiting for finished pics :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Her you go then, was going to wait until the weekend but you know what they say about kids with new toys :)

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Well done :) they look great and will make a huge difference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1