T120 Strange Noise

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Paul Hill, Sep 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Hill

Paul Hill New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    West Sussex
    Hi All
    The last two rides on my T120 I could hear what sounds like a nail or stone stuck in a tyre which can only be hear while going round a right hand turn such as a round-about checked the tyres each time for anything stuck in the tread but found nothing, Any thoughts what it could be? I have looked over the bike very closely including the ABS pick-ups but everything looks fine.
    Cheers for any pointers

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Paul Hill
    Check you chain tension. Make sure all the back end is torqued up and no play in the swinging arm or chain touching the guard. Also check the callipers are running free and don' have debris stuck between the pads.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Paul Hill

Paul Hill New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    West Sussex
    thanks Joe I have gone over all of those points but still can't find anything

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Paul Hill
    Also check the chain case. Get a buddy to ride with you and see if they can spot something.
    Regards
    Joe.

5. Paul Hill

Paul Hill New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    West Sussex
    I've spoken to my local dealer who informs me the early T120 were fitted with a short sparkplug cap and they have been know to track over which could be the source of this clicking / ticking sound as a spark earths across. I did point out I haven't noticed any problem with miss-fire which I would have expected to find if it's tracking across, I'm going to let them have a look I'll post the results here.

• Like Like x 2
  6. David Gilding

David Gilding Member

May 25, 2018
    Hampshire
    Any news on this as my 2018 T120 ies making a ticking noise but the dealer cant tell me what it is and another dealer couldn't hear it ! But its there !

7. Paul Hill

Paul Hill New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    West Sussex
    No further forward David I'm afraid to say, it is most strange.

8. Paul Hill

Paul Hill New Member

Sep 12, 2019
    West Sussex
    I was convince I had a stone or nail stuck in a tyre as that is the best way of describing the sound espacially as mine does it when turning right, most odd.

9. David Gilding

David Gilding Member

May 25, 2018
    Hampshire
    Strange noises these Triumphs can make !
    My ticking noise is there even at standstill, I have seen a post suggesting it could be a short on the plug cap so will look into that next.

10. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    My guess , the plug cap shorting , and you hear it on right hand corners because your head and shoulders are moving out to the right , there is now nothing between your ear and the plug cap , tank would normally block path of the sound when seated upright !??

• Like Like x 1
  12. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Paul, as you said it sounds like a nail/stone in the tyre, I take it that the clicking/taping noise gets faster as the wheel speed increases?

Or if it changes with engine speed, then the plug problem seems more likely.

My thinking is that if it is wheel speed related, I'd look for loose wheel weights/pressure sensors, pads that rattle, floating disks that are being moved by some problem in the caliper, misaligned/warped disk, bearings, loose spokes, basically something to do with the wheels and anything that moves in time with them, including the chain/sprockets and anything they might touch, like a loose stone under the front cover.

One other thought is if something was loose inside the engine/sump/somewhere, is it able to slide across on right handers and touch something that runs at wheel speed, (or engine speed).

Very tricky if you can't reproduce the noise in a workshop or with the bike upright!