T120 joy of centre stand

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Jboy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jboy

Jboy Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire
    Been out for a decent ride today, loved it. Came home and gave it a clean. I had forgotten just how bl....dy useful a centre stand is. Not had one on a bike for ages now cos they are not sexy ( I suppose). No faffing about with paddock stands or heart in mouth moments when you hoist them up. So easy to clean. In fact it was really enjoyable and took half the time. (While I am at it, heated grips, luvverly)

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I like a nice centre stand!:):)

• Like Like x 1
  3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Yes, I was lucky when I got my Bonnie as the one previous owner had had one fitted.
    Not having had a bike for a long time I was amazed to,find that centre stands are now classed as 'extras'
    Invaluable to me when working on or cleaning the bike, I wouldn't be without one.

• Like Like x 3
  4. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I agree, not having a centre stand is a real pain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I like them too and am fortunate that the previous owner fitted one to mine.

I have to say though that compared to my last bike, a fully loaded BMW R1100RS, getting it on to the stand take a lot of effort. Perhaps it will improve when I find the correct technique?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I use the frame 'loop' by the rear footrest to lift with my right hand with left hand on the handlebar fully turned in, lift and pull back in one motion.
    I must admit though not the easiest bike to get on the centre stand, bit of practice required with nobody watching.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Come on Jboy,,,,, Centre stand and sexy can't be used in the same paragraph:rolleyes:

You've been spending to much time in your garage ;):):)

Dave.

8. sjmars01

sjmars01 New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    The main reason I went with the T-120 and not the Street Twin is the center stand. Every bike should have one or the ability to install one.

• Like Like x 2
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi I put a centre stand on my America very early on, I would really miss it. It would be sooo much harder to attach/detach my trailer's without it amongst other thing's. And as for scrapping it , with both end's of my bike having after market suspension (longer & stiffer) you'd need to be Mick Doohan , Troy Corser & Casey Stoner all in one !

Before the centre stand & suspension mods I bottomed out the pegs and scared the Bejesus out of meself , never again. Hopefully.

10. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #10 sprintdave, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    for me,i think all bikes should have a centrestand. Coz I only ride old bikes I have never tried a paddock stand but they look potentially dangerous to me .
    My Sprint is a cow to get on the stand though, I have seen video on Utube of how to do it easily but it dont work for me, years ago when I started biking I did the RAC/ACU training scheme and they showed us how easy it was,again not on my bike. However I have found that if I roll the bike on to a 1 inch plank under the rear tyre it makes the job a cynch,no more struggling and hopefully no more hernias.

• Like Like x 2
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi sprintdave, i had two sprints awhile ago now, i found the easiest way to get them up was stand on left foot right foot already on the foot lever to the stand roll bike backwards gently stand hard on the pexastal pull up then forwards slightly with the right hand/arm bike would put itself on the stand if you timed these motions together correctly, get it wrong and you really are heaving it !!

12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I know its supposed to work but on mine it doesnt.Even when I go for MOT the guy struggles with it too, I guess something somewhere is worn out.I have dropped the yokes down the fork legs but only by 5mm,dont think that would be enough to cause the problem. The plank trick never fails tho.
    Thanks for the advice , appreciate it

• Like Like x 1
  13. phantom

phantom Member

Jul 17, 2016
    n.e. lincs
    Hi , I have trouble getting my bonneville on stand , so have just this afternoon extended lever on stand by 20mm, a bolt on job at moment (will make it more presentable at later date), it has made world of difference,now putting on stand no prob. Amazing what a little extra length can do!!!

14. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    As the actress said to the bishop!:D:p

15. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    After several months and actually looking at YouTube I managed to get my t120 on centre stand and have to agree it makes life a lot easier.

16. Mindergaz

Mindergaz Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Castleford west yorkshire
    Haha ....yes we have all heard them speaking loudly thinking we are impressed with the fictional storys..................you know who you are

• Like Like x 1
  17. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    I can either get the T120 on its centre stand first time, or it takes several jerkingly embarrassing attempts lol
    This morning I found out that if I put all my weight on the stand whilst holding the bars and gently lean backwards, the whole plot just smoothly and slowly rises into place. Of course, my 220lbs likely helps with this process !!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mark80

Mark80 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Masham
    Done full stripdowns using my centre stand on the Matchless, invaluable, especially when leaving the bike unattended can't just be pushed over

19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Must admit I haven't tried pulling it on its stand whilst looking at YouTube.
    Might try that, was it anything in particular you were watching ? lol

• Like Like x 4
  20. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Who said men can't do two things at the same time!!!