T120 fuel cap

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by AndyInSurrey, Aug 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    Does anyone know if you can get a non-lockable petrol cap for the new T120? If so, from where?

2. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    Is there a replacement fuel cap that has the retro look without the key lock? There must be a retro replacement fuel cap. Does anyone know of anywhere where you can get any from?

3. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Yes you can. If you search for Monza fuel cap Triumph T120 Bonneville I'm sure you'll find it.

4. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    Thanks for the reply, I don't want a Monza type, I was looking for a plain stew on fuel cap.

5. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Well you can still get one. A company called Monotone do a billet screw on fuel cap. You can check a video out on you tube. If you go onto YouTube and search 'views from the man cave'. He has a video fitting one to his Street Twin and as the Street Twin and T120 have the same fuel cap it'll fit both machines.

6. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    Thanks for that info, interesting videos from 'views from the man cave', however this is the type of cap I'm looking for:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ph-bonneville-thruxton-scrambler-48-2677.html

I'll have to find out if it fits the modern T120...

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you looked at squaredeals? At least you can phone them and ask if they fit the 120

8. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    I would think it probably will fit the T120. If a fuel cap for the previous model Bonneville fit the Street Twin they'll more than likely fit the T120.

9. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    This is the fuel cap on my 2016 Bonneville

[​IMG]

11. mjderrick

mjderrick New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    New Forest, UK
    I'm glad someone else thinks the locking cap on the T120 is a pain/unnecessary! This cap looks really good Andy, a bit thicker than the 'older' Bonnie cap? Also I see you bought the right colour bike!!
    How much did they charge you p+p etc?

12. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    I had to pay $22.50 for p&p etc then £14 for import duty and admin fee! But it looks a lot better than the original

13. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Hi Andy probably asking obvious but that is the exact cap you got and it does fit the new2016 Bonnies ?

It's just I asked the people in America and this is the reply

I would recommend checking the inside of your filler neck to see if there is a vent tube sticking up from the base. If so, this cap may not fit. As for ordering, just place an order through the site and we'll be able to send wherever you indicate on the order.

14. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    I know this is a an old conversation and I’m actually shocked nobody else has voiced similar displeasure with the locking fuel caps on their Bonnevilles.

It appears that the locking portion of the cap is fitted with a snap ring and could easily be replaced with a non-locking cover if anybody offered such.

The search is on...

15. calum

calum New Member

Feb 23, 2021
    york
    You do know that you can leave the fuel cap unlocked so you just screw it on and off. Just unlock it and remove the key

16. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    Now I feel like a Barney Fife.

The thought never crossed my mind...

17. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    https://www.motone.co.uk/motorcycle...25/custom-fuel-gas-cap-billet-aluminium-p1552

If you check the description it seems the screw in filler caps are fairly interchangeable across the whole Bonneville range.
    FITS ALL YEARS BONNEVILLE THRUXTON, AMERICA, T100, SPEEDMASTER, SE, SCRAMBLER, BOBBER, STREET TWIN, STREET CUP, STREET SCRAMBLER, T120 : 2001-2018 Present - Fits both CARB and EFI bikes.

FITS ALL YEARS HARLEY DAVIDSON WITH SCREW DOWN CAP 1981-2018 PRESENT SPORTSTER, 48, IRON ETC

18. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    I have the Motone fuel cap on my bike. I like it a lot. One thing you should know, though. At certain angles of the sun, it reflects directly into your eyes, causing a bit of concern if you're not expecting it.

DSCN0402.JPG

19. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    Tried to remove the key from the cap and the only way I can is with it locked back onto the tank.

What am I missing here?

The stock cap doesn’t look bad. That’s not the issue. Having to pull the key from the ignition switch to gas and go is too fiddling and unnecessary.

Anybody else able to unlock their cap and leave it unlocked?

20. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/...l-modification-how-to.881993/#post-2003281193

• Useful Useful x 1