T120 Black Soft Luggage?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DavidS, Sep 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex
    After a break of more years than we can remember, my wife had her first pillion ride today and declared herself full of enjoyment.

A caveat we both have is carrying our helmets once we have arrived at our destination. The days of distance travelling are long gone so this is short trips out for a half day or so in nice weather.
    I have the GIVI SR6410 rack fitted but don’t really fancy going back to a 2 helmet topbox. Although they are useful, they aren’t particularly subtle.

The alternatives are panniers but there, things seem to get complicated.
    Obviously each pannier would need to take a helmet but asking it to take a textile jacket as well is pushing things too far.
    I think matt black soft panniers would suit the bike best but I would only want a subtle rail, like the Triumph/Kriega loop but the latter seems to need the straps to go over the seat, which doesn’t seem very secure or comfortable. Can you run the straps under the seat?

This is way out of my sphere of knowledge and inexpensive is the mantra so any suggestions would be welcome. Maybe even ditch the rack and clip panniers on as necessary?

2. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex
    Ah! Just found the Triumph Nylon Panniers.
    If they take a helmet, they would be pretty good but something the same but cheaper or less nylon looking might be preferable.

3. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Hi DavidS,
    I have retired from biking and have here a pair of Kriega Duo 36 litre panniers, top quality kit, black nylon with overseat straps.
    We used them on our Bonneville Newchurch.
    They do need pannier rails to keep them out of the rear wheel of course.
    My panniers have been used twice, are as new and have the original packing bag and all fittings / straps.
    Look them up and read about them.
    If you're interested, PM me, I'm midlands based.
    Curly

4. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    I gave up putting helmets in panniers when they were broken into and the helmets and waterproofs were stolen. These days I just use a cable lock through the helmets and secure through some part of the bike. Use a plastic bag if there's a chance of rain. That opens up your choice of panniers and I think the givi dolomiti 30's look good on the bonnies. Not that I have either...
    Lug-givi-DLM30-trekker-dolomiti-side-case-03L.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex
    Thanks Curly but I’m hoping to avoid over seat straps if possible.

6. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex
    Thanks Wattie.
    I have been using a helmet bag and cable lock when I’m on my own but wouldn’t want to leave it in public that exposed and obvious. For the two of us some proper out of sight storage would be preferred, even if not particularly secure.
    Those boxes do look nice but I suspect the price might scare me (or my wife) off when I look.

7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #7 brown mouse, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    I just use a cable around chin bar of helmets and padlock them to the bike. Cable can go through jacket sleeves to lock them up too.

Of course, all this isn't secure against any 'proper' thief with wire cutters, but my thinking is to stop passing people nicking stuff 'for a laugh'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ashwin Bala

Ashwin Bala New Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Chennai
    This solution makes a lot of sense

I think motone customs sells something like a helmet lock for the T120 which is also an option