T120 2016 Charging/starting Fault

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Servodyne, Jan 17, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Servodyne

Servodyne New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Preston
    Hi all.
    I have had a strange electrical fault on my 2016 T120 Bonneville, which hopefully someone can help me with.
    I took it for it's last ride of the year in December, just a short run of 15 miles and it started instantly as normal, but soon I noticed the odometer wasn't clocking the miles. It was a bit nippy so I tried to switch on the heated grips only to get an abridged warning message on the speedo of low battery. Thinking that the battery was just a bit low, after the bike had been stood a few weeks unused, I just carried on. Having been at my destination for a couple of hours, I then tried to start the bike only to get the dreaded solenoid click. Luckily there was a nearby slope so I just bumped it and got the engine running. As I rode home I noticed that the odometer had started working again as did the heated grips.
    It's now been stood untouched for at least 6 weeks and again it starts instantly on the button. I was thinking that it may just need a new battery, but everything is working as it should, even the charging rate, so I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be.

2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    As it's a 2016 model and presumably on the original battery I would think a new one is not far off. Do you have a multi-meter or can you borrow one ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    What is telling you it's charging? As suggested check with a multimeter it could be the battery or a bad earth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Might be worth checking the terminal screws are tight too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Servodyne

Servodyne New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Preston
    Thanks for the replies. I've had the bike from new and it's on its original battery. The battery connections are tight and it's charging around 14V with a multimeter. Could it be an ECU issue or even an intermittent fault with the battery? I would have thought the battery would be due changing, but all the lights are bright without the engine running and it starts instantly even after being stood.

6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    As I said before, at that age the battery is coming to the end of it's life and would not take kindly to being left unused for several weeks in winter. If it starts and runs ok now, just start it up once a week and run it for 15/20 mins and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    What is the battery voltage tested at its terminal with ignition off?

8. Servodyne

Servodyne New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Preston
    12.3V with the ignition off, drops to 12V with ignition and lights on.

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You won’t get anywhere without at least 12.6v:(

10. Servodyne

Servodyne New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Preston
    You're probably right. I'll just get a new battery anyway due to it's age and take it from there. It's just puzzling how it starts without hesitation, but I don't want to be let down again in the future, as they're not the easiest thing to bump start without a gradient. :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Yep definitely new battery needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1