T100 Throttle Response

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Richard James Malik, Dec 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard James Malik

Richard James Malik New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Derby UK
    Hi, I have just gone from a BMW f800r to 2018 T100. I've only ridden around the block due to the terrible weather i just needed to try it briefly Im finding the throttle really sharp and lumpy. Not a fair trial I know and I'm quite prepared to take the blame.
    Does this sound like user error,, I have seen few videos mentioning that some T120s can be a bit sharp at low revs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hi Richard
    I found the booster plug sorted my T120 low speed throttle response out. Fairly cheap, easy to install.
    https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/t...he-power-just-plug-and-play--enjoy-4687-p.asp
    Mark

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Snatching is a feature of lean fuelling to meet emissions regs. A Booster plug will give you a 90% solution for maybe. a third of the cost of a Dino retune. Its effects on fuel consumption are negligible and has no MoT drawbacks as bike emissions remain exempt......except when leaving the factory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Richard James Malik

Jul 21, 2018
    Derby UK
    I will obviously look into a booster plug if the throttle really is as I experienced today.
    I find it amazing that all tTriumph water cooled twins would be like this due to emission regulations. My BMW had to comply to the same regs. and was totally smooth at low revs.
    Is it possible that this problem only manifests on some bikes as surely if every bike had this there would be many more complaints. I have yet to see a road test mentioning it.
    Thank you for your replies

• Like Like x 2
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Richard James Malik
    Welcome to the Family if I haven't said it yet. I found my t120 very laid back. I had Norman Hyde cans and decated. It was a real lazy machine I found. Always up and down gears in town. Motorway was great.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard James Malik

Jul 21, 2018
    Derby UK
    Thanks Joe,
    From what you say it seems it isn't all bikes that are overly sharp.
    If that is the case it make you wonder if there is a batch of faulty ECU's that Triumph should be investigating.
    People shouldn't have to be fitting booster plugs to make their bikes smooth at low speeds.
    Does this problem occur on the triples, they also have to comply with emission controls.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Had a 2012 sprint and don't know but that was as smooth and well behaved a bike as you would want. As I say my t120 was to laid back for town work never snatchy. Worth asking the dealers
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. macamxthe1st

macamxthe1st Well-Known Member

I have a 2018 T100 in standard Mech trim and find it to be butter smooth. I tried a T120 and found it's delivery to be poor by comparison.

Geoff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Geoff.
    I have the 2018 T100 now and love it. Does everything you want it to do.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Richard James Malik

Jul 21, 2018
    Derby UK
    Well after all my complaining, I have to admit that the problems have mostly been cured by a recalibration. Of my wrist !

• Like Like x 1
  11. john tiley

john tiley New Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Ruardean, Glos
    My 2018 T120 is not nice at low revs - man at Triumph dealer says 'yeah they're all like that', & advised that I ride it in 'rain mode', makes a slight difference but it's not right, think he must have been on a sales prevention course, so I am considering a new Royal Enfield 650 next time (almost half the price)

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not wishing to be harsh towards Royal Enfield, but judging by the quality of the finish on the ones at the Bike Show - especially the mirrors, levers and bars - they are probably half the quality.

13. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    All new bikes take some getting used to. I stalled my ST first time I rode it, compared with the old carbed bikes I’d been riding I felt that the fueling was snatchy

1000 miles on I can’t imagine riding anything else, I suppose I’ve just got used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. john tiley

john tiley New Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Ruardean, Glos
    Yes - you tend to get what you pay for & can appreciate you can't get it right for everyone - all the time! Must be honest I have been spoilt by Honda, still have my Valkyrie I bought new 20 years ago!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Stick with it John. All be it mine is a 2016 T120 with a few miles on it the low rev speeds are fine but as I mailed earlier Booster Plug did make a difference at low speeds. Irritating response from your dealer by the way - not helpful

16. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a 2018 Street Twin. I believe the ECU is programmed the same for the T100. My bike has been flawless for 1 year now and 4,500 miles. All of my old bikes were carbed and the ST throttle did take a little time to get used to. But it was me, not the bike.
    Just give it time. Enjoy?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Having said that, I think they're probably priced about right though and they look decent enough.

18. john tiley

john tiley New Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Ruardean, Glos

19. john tiley

john tiley New Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Ruardean, Glos
    Yes I will stick with it, it's one of the 59, 'spirit of 59's' & as yet just over 1000 miles, I would be interested to find out more about the 'booster plug', if you could enlighten me I would be grateful.

20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome John. Give it a few miles in the nicer weather and see if you get used to it.

• Like Like x 1