T100 rear shock upgrade

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Yorkie199, Nov 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkie199

Yorkie199 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Good evening I will be going to the NEC bike show and will hopefully get to speak to the Hagon guys regarding rear shocks and was wondering if anybody has experience of them, I want to keep the same sort of look and I've just been on their website and the price varies from £238 up to £380 for the nitro ones so any advice would be gladly accepted thanks.

2. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Do a search on Hagon on this forum, lots of threads about their shocks, 2810's are a popular choice I have them, rate them well. You can choose your spring/body colour options too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Thanks Carleton I will have a look now cheers

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    got hagon 2810 on my thrux improved the handling no end, not my riding unfortunately:rolleyes:

5. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Am definitely going to have a word with the Hagon guys at the show,I've read a lot of the posts about them on here now (thanks Carleton) and they do seem to be decent kit.

6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I fitted Hagon rear shocks to my 2012 Bonnie about 3 months ago, absolutely delighted with the difference in riding comfort compared to the OEM shocks.
    Mine were £146.50, I was going to go for the 2810s but was advised by Hagon that the cheaper ones would be more than suitable for the bike, my style of riding etc.
    Next job is to fit Hagon progressive springs up front.
    Great customer service and advice from Hagon, other shocks may give you the same result but I am passionate about supporting British manufacturing and Hagon are doing a great job flying our flag.

7. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Thanks Mick it's good to know that they don't try to just sell you their most pensive stuff.

8. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    I fitted the cheaper Hagon ones to my Thruxton and the progressive springs made a big difference. I didn't go for 2810 as I only ever ride solo don't need all the extra fiddling about.

The front end is the biggest difference you will notice.

Teejay

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Thanks Teejay I will be carrying panniers and camping stuff next year so I will probably tell them roughly what I'm looking to do and hopefully they will be able to sort the job out

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  10. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
    Are you wanting to swap them out with the standard length or go for the longer thruxton length shocks (a popular swap for the t100 I believe)? Only asking as I have a set of thruxton length Hagon 2810s I could sell you. I bought them but never used as my bike came with Hagons and I reckon my legs are too short for moving to thruxton length shocks. I got them barely used on ebay and would be happy to pass on the saving to a fellow forumer if you are interested.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I had Hagons on another (not a Triumph) twin shock bike and replaced them with a pair of the alloy bodied re-buildable ones from TEC bike parts. The Hagons worked OK but the finish was atrocious and they rusted like h**l. The TECs have now served for nearly 3 years and have been just fine. A good deal cheaper than the Hagons too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Thanks d-basser I wasn't going to change the length to be honest I hadn't thought of doing that, I basically just want to try and improve the harsh ride and also improve the suspension for when I start to load the bike up with luggage next year cheers
    Chris

13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    A longer travel shock would help with the differing workloads. Please note I said travel (stroke) not just a longer shock.

14. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
    There are a fair few threads on the internet about putting thruxton shocks on bonnevilles for apparent better handling. If they interest you think I got them for about 80quid and wouldn't be looking to make any profit.

15. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Thanks but I think I'm going to wait until I've been to the bike show and see what options are about but thank you .

16. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
    Absolutely no rush. I haven't really bothered to get round to selling properly, one of these things I bought cause they were a good deal rather than cause I needed them. You know they are there. Same goes for anyone else on the forum who's interested. I'll stick them in the for sale section when I can be arsed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Just ordered Hagon progressive springs and oil for the Bonnie.
    Looking forward to fitting them when they arrive.
    Hagon rear shocks fitted a couple of months ago gave a big improvement, hope I see the same difference up front.
    Bugger having to take the forks out though to change the oil, but I want to do it properly.
    Whatever happened to good old drain plugs ?

18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Mick, if you're just changing the front springs you can do that with the forks in place.

Remove the forktube tops, remove the spring with a long hook made out of a wire coat-hangar, take out the old oil using a syringe and piece of clear pipe. Install new springs, refill oil and replace the forktube tops.

Simples.........................

• Like Like x 2
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Thanks for the info Big Lad
    I must admit that is the simplest method and I have previously watched the Delboy clips.
    The thing is, knowing how the forks are made and thinking about any swarf or shit that may be in the bottom of the fork legs I had resolved myself to removing them and completely emptying all the old oil out.
    It might be a bit OTT, but with the shite weather coming on I don't really mind tinkering.
    I will check and maybe replace the brake pads at the same time.
    I have been surprised how little copper-slip or grease if any has been used during factory assembly and I enjoy putting stuff right.
    I intend to keep this bike for good and pass it down the line as a family heirloom.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mick 85

Mick 85 New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Portishead, England
    Hi d-basser

A bit too new on this site to be cheeky enough to ask if you will sell to me - will you ?