T100 Front Fork Gasket Leaking !

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Andreas V, Sep 29, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andreas V

Andreas V Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Greece
    Hi all,

I took delivery of my new T100 in mid-June. So far driven for 2,400 km.

The bike is now at the garage for scheduled maintenance. They advised me that the front fork gaskets are leaking ! They also advised of course that the warranty should cover the costs (they are checking) but still I was frankly disappointed to hear that a brand new bike is leaking oil from the front fork gaskets !

Does anyone have any feedback on this, is this something common with the new model with the upgraded front fork ?

Many thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Do you mean the fork seals? If so you have possibly got some grit on the forks and this has snagged the seals. Have you been riding on gravel roads or roads with loose stones or grit on them?
    The best way to protect the fork seals is the fit fork gaiters, as fitted to the Street Twin as standard.
    I do not know of any particular problem with the forks on the T100, they are basic and simple forks, I had no trouble on my fork seals and the bike was over 15 years old.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Can be anything, a faulty seal. Not a big issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Andreas V
    No it's not common. But fork seals are fickle on most bikes especially naked forks. You can get little fork shields to give better protection.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The most common cause of oil leaks from fork seals is damage to the stanchions. Check the surfaces for any damage like small dents or stone chips which will weep oil past the seals. The dealer should do this if they're doing the repair. I'd also get them to fit some gaiters or fit some yourself, after the repair is complete, if they charge too much. They're quite easy to fit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    My 2017 T100 came with fork gaiters as standard. Are they not in the current model's spec?

7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
  8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
  9. Andreas V

Andreas V Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Greece
    No, no riding on gravel whatsoever.

Fortunately the warranty kicks in and will cover for the cost.
    I will also grab the opportunity and I will have fork gaiters installed. Frankly, I am thinking more of the looks but any rate of protection they offer is of course welcome...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andreas V

Andreas V Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Greece