T100 Brake Upgrade - Whose Done What?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Flashp, Oct 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #1 Flashp, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    I'm looking to give the front brake a little more bite and a more progressive feel. Can this be done by pads alone or does it really call for a calliper upgrade? I've seen the Pretech site although I don't know that they cater for a 2018 model. I imagine somebody has already addressed this...

I have in the meantime found this: https://www.freespiritsparts.com/en...le-t100-4p-caliper-rotor-diam-340-mm-kit.html

2. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    That will definitely sort the issue mate but it will add money to the bike which you will never recover so unless you plan on keeping it I would experiment with pads for now, which can deliver good results for improved feel and breaking if selected correctly. Im sure someone will be along shortly to give the correct advice on pads you can try. I wouldn't mind a upgrade kit like that though !

3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    There's a few accounts around of people using parts from other bikes, particularly Honda, which could be interesting. Most of what I've read seems to apply to older Bonneville's but maybe it could apply to newer models. I've already dropped some strong money on suspension and am fairly committed to long term ownership. If I could buy a caliper for a few hundred or less that would retain the disc and be a direct replacement then all the better. I'll have a look at pads in the meantime...

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am slightly bemused by the criticism of the front brake. It is not as powerful as a twin disc setup but you just pull harder! I fitted organic pads which give great feel and can still lock the wheel. Maybe (hand) size matters?
    HH pads have more bite but when someone pulled out on me in the rain 6 months ago I stopped plenty fast and tyres and underwear were the limiting factor not my brakes. I really valued the feel I had. Dry smooth tarmac maybe different......but not THAT much.
    I liken it slightly to ‘magnumitis’ in shooting. Plenty of people increase calibre at the expense of accuracy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I agree with Callumity on the above with regards to the stock brake being fit for purpose, on mine it is in anycase. Perhaps different year models matter having different parts for example pads ? I have experienced this with a car I owned changing the pads on the rear with another brand and it was surprisingly softer feel on the pedal. I often read about the suspension discussions too for the T100 and then wonder as mine feels just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'm inclined to agree, highly likely a pad compound change happened when a supplier changed. Do you have any info on pad part numbers per chance?

8. PaulCas

PaulCas Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Are the newer models really that bad that you need to upgrade the brakes?
    At the end of the day it's your bike and you can do what you want with it.
    Personally, I find that the stock brakes on my '07 T100 are more than adequate. I actually prefer them to my Ducati M797 which I think are a bit OTT. I find them a bit snatchy at lower speeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I agree, I'm still on the pads it came with from the factory so I probably have scope for improvement there.

10. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I wouldn't call them bad but mine at least are nothing to write home about. As I've already mentioned, I'm on the stock pads that it came out the factory with and I'll wager that Triumph just put on whatever was cheapest at the time from supplier 'x'.

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    FA 196 HH correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I was going to put some ebc pads on my 2014 bonnie until I read the 3 pot caliper upgrade. Try a search on that phrase.

Like you I wanted more bite with a more progressive feel at the lever. Achieved exactly that by fitting a Honda cb100r 3 pot with new pads. Total cost about £100. The difference in braking force was excellent. Its how the bike should have left the factory imho. Image of the fitted caliper on page 31 in the post photos section.

I did put ebc pads on the rear end and was pleasantly surprised by the improvement.

13. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    I mounted the Free Spirits uograde kit to my T120.

The OEM kit on my bike was slightly numb feeling, and the initial bite was wooden. But after using it for 500 miles I had acquired respect for it. The OEM brake equipment is nothing special but it stops well.

The Free Spirits rotors and Brembo caliper kit are better, but won’t change your life. I’d say it’s a ten percent improvement. Initial feel is better and the bike stops HARD. I’m glad I did it, but it’s one of those things that makes you wonder if this is God’s way of telling you that you have too much money.

Before and after pics:

5B0B330A-A26A-443D-BA22-C67AD458BD03.jpeg

D8A4037E-BEC7-40AB-85C2-8BA64805DBD2.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. bruno_c

bruno_c New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    France
    What about improving the rear brake Instead?
    I know that only a fraction of the stopping power relies on the rear brake but I think it is better to have a good one.
    In my opinion, the rear brake of the LC T100 is not efficient.
    It is easy to improve but maybe this is not the subject of this thread.

Bruno

15. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I just changed the brake pads on my 2018 Street Twin to EBC HH sintered pads. (No other changes, just the pads). It did make a difference compared to the OEM pads. Much improved stopping power. Recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I totally agree the sintered pads seem to pull the bike up nicely got them fitted front and rear some say that the disks wear out quicker with these fitted but ive not noticed any wear so far.

18. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Agree. Brakes (stopping power) is the most important feature on a motorcycle. If my disks wear a bit more not an issue for me. Safety first !!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    I dunno about “first.” Safety is definitely in the top three tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mel Townend

Mel Townend New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Norfolk
    Fitted EBC Sintered pads front & rear....marked improvement

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1