T100/bonnie Tuning Who's Done What?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Essexboy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    On my 2012 EFI Bonnie I currently have a set of the Norman Hyde silencers and the ignition has been remapped by a local Triumph dealer when the previous owner had the bike. Those pipes are starting to rust though with the chrome peeling in places so they need replacing and while searching the net I have found there are various intake mods which can also be done. What I want to know now is what's the best option for normal street use between keeping the intake standard, fitting a free flow air filter (K&N or similar), removing the intake baffling in the air box or going the whole hog and fitting pod filters. Has anyone done any of this?

2. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    My 2010 SE efi is running the Hyde Togas with small baffles in just to take the crack off it still fairly noisey Arrows 2 into 2 map
    (20505) SAI air injection system removed completely 02 sensors still in place and standard airbox with standard filter it runs very well on this setup good fuel economy and no snatchyness I reckon to do what your saying you might want to take a look at the TTP range the chap has a section on this forum I think Mike the Pieman if I remember.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    My 2010 T100 had the following done by me to it :

TEC rear gas shocks
    TEC Steering damper and fork brace
    Avon AM 26's
    Gutted inlet tract
    TTP Tune 3
    0² sensors removed
    AI system removed
    DNA air filter
    Fruity exhaust pipes

Loved the bike but my needs changed.............

• Like Like x 1
  4. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Cheers guys :) How much difference does removing the air injection and the O2 sensors make? I'm more of a carburetor bloke really all this FI is new to me but I wouldn't have thought it would run right with sensors removed-obviously I'm wrong there!

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    As with all modern Fuel injection systems a lot of the stuff is there to allow the factory to pass it's pollution level statutory requirements. The O² and AI (Air Injection) have a negative on the throttle control and general running of the bike.

AI removal stops popping on overrun and jerky throttle. When removing it you have to fool the ECU into thinking it's still there, or it'll throw a fault light. This can be achieved two ways: 1. once the plumbing is removed, plug in a 'load plug' bought off Ebay; 2. Connect the bike's ecu to TuneECU and tell the ecu it doesn't have AI fitted any longer.

O² was removed on my bike to allow the replacement ecu tune from TTP to work properly.

Result? Smoother running, better reving, improved fuel consumption, greater PLEASURE.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    I've just been looking at the TTP website and I see the stage 1 tune will set me back a couple of hundred quid, something I don't have to spare right now, but when funds permit I reckon I'll go down this road - cheers for your help :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I've got a 2013 Bonnie, fitted a Tec Tracker exhaust, 02 sensors and AI removed, K%N air filter, and had a custom tune set up on it. Can't say it has made a huge difference, but it feels crisp throughout the rev range. Also put flat bars on and YSS shocks. It runs very well and I am very pleased with it. The sky is the limit with possible mods, but I just wanted to liven it up a bit and make it my own without spending thousands.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    On mine I didn’t need to do it as it runs mentally fast just on Motad exhausts with the baffles in. If you feel it runs nice then leave it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    I've got a carb'd Bonnie and it Dyno'd at 52bhp, got it tuned by Bob Farnham and it's now 70bhp at the rear wheel. Very pleased with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Sounds interesting, do you know what sort of work he did to it ?

11. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    TTP tune 3 (so air-box baffle,02 and AI shit all gone)
    K&N Filter and TTP Breathe air intake
    Std pipes with D.I.Y removal of all baffles
    19 tooth Front sprocket.

All the above cost less than £250, in my opinion this is how the bike should have left the factory. Smooth pulling power with a nice exhaust roar. Well worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Is he still at Brands Hatch?

I've done the 02 sensor and AIS removal already and TORS pipes fitted, so halfway there already.:cool:

Have you got a dyno chart for it ?
    Having seen what a proper dyno set up did for my Speed Triple, I'm hoping that a set up on the dyno will have a similar relative effect on the Bonnie :)