T100 Bonnie, I can't be the only one, can I ?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bogbrush48, Jun 26, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bogbrush48

bogbrush48 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Hi there,
    Brand newbie. I can't be the only one who has wanted to fit a Datatool Digigear to a T100 (2010), can I?
    The wiring instructions supplied are generic. The Datatool website support does not list any of the Bonnie models, and tech support at Datatool can't help, "because they've never fitted one to a Bonnie".
    The wiring diagram in Haynes for T100 (2010) doesn't float my boat either. See Section 8.34, twelve wires into the Tacho.
    I've eliminated wires 10,9,5,6,7,2,8, and probably (?) 3 & 4.
    I've tried wires 11(Red) 12 (Blue) and 1 (Lavender -ish or purple) without success. It won't progress past trying to register first gear.
    If anyone can tell me which connections I should make, I would be very grateful.
    I think I've got the Tacho pulse wire (Datatool yellow) wrong, but three tries and it still doesn't register first gear as it should on the Digigear module.
    Of course, I might have got other connections wrong, but I thought I'd try the obvious first.
    Local Motorcycle Engineer says he guesses it usually, car mechanic says take a wire back to the coil, but why do that when you've got a Tacho within 6 inches ?
    Help !

2. martinl

martinl Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Cannock
    If you can send a scan of the instructions and a scan of the schematic for the T100 i'll try and work it out for you.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo, welcome to forum, ain't a clue, but Martin seems to be able to help, nice one Martin, I'm old school and still use an insurance padlock and chain on my 09 Bonnie! Got a fancy rig on mi' HD, ain't used it, must catch up to the 19th Century....heh heh heh

4. bogbrush48

bogbrush48 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Hi Martin
    Thanks for the offer, which is very welcome.
    I have scans of the Haynes wiring diagrams, and the Datatool bikes list and instructions are easy to get off their website, but if I can I will get them up on here?
    I have also done a summary of the problem in "Word".

Don't know too much about blogging or whatever you young blades call it? :smile:
    Also can't upload my Word file as the website doesn't like them over 20KB, so here goes as copy and paste :-

TRYING TO WIRE UP A DATATOOL DIGIGEAR gear indicator
    on a Triumph Bonneville T100 (2010)

Please be aware:
    HAYNES MANUAL for Triumph Bonneville 2001 to 2012.
    The Haynes manual for Bonnies was updated in 2010 to cater for the electronic speedo which replaced a cable speedo (and no doubt other stuff). But they don’t explain very much about the updates. It does however say on page 8.12 ………..
    “ 2010-on Models (with electronic speedometer)
    3 The information supply between the ECM and instruments utilises Controlled Area Networking (CAN)- bus technology to create an electronic information network between them. This allows rapid and reliable data transfer around the network. To reduce the amount of wiring in the network, the components are designed to communicate via one or two wires (the red and blue from terminals B28 and B27 of the ECM). These wires are known as ‘data bus’. The instruments have an integral transceiver which receives data ‘packets’ along the bus.
    If there is a problem with the CAN-bus network the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) in the instruments will come on and the system will display a specific P-code when the fault is downloaded.”
    The Haynes manual (ident 4364) wiring diagram is over two pages (i.e. one A3 landscape page) in Section 8.34. My scans are therefore split into two A4 portrait pages.

DATATOOL DIGIGEAR
    All Datatool stuff is available on their website – probably easier to go there than download my crude large scanned files ?
    I got the list of bike applications, two pages (no good because it doesn’t show any Bonnies) and the Digi gear installation instructions, two pages. Contacting Datatool support was not fruitful.

Purpose Digi Wire Colour Location I fixed it Haynes wire identity Purpose (assumed) Haynes wire colour
    Earth Black Rear Speedo Speedo 2 earth black
    12 volt live red Rear speedo Speedo 3 +ve supply Green/red
    Engine pulse yellow Rear speedo Speedo 11 Tacho pulse red
    Speedo pulse green Rear speedo Speedo 10 MPH data Black/yellow
    Neutral data brown Rear Tacho Tacho 9 Neutral lamp Black/white
    Set up only orange Free hanging none programme none

The above was the first try, the programming got to flashing “1” first gear, but it did not “register” (i.e. go to a horiz bar to indicate successful registering which then allows you to progress to second gear registry, etc, etc, to gear five)
    I think I’ve got the power supply right, earth and +ve, and the (Digi) green wire is connected to the Bonnie black/yellow, which is shown as going to the “vehicle speed sensor”)
    The neutral connection seems ok (Haynes shows this single wire black/white from the Tacho going to the “neutral switch”).
    I have – I thought – eliminated some of the wires in the back of the instruments:-
    Tacho (as listed on far left of Haynes page H47407 - not page numbered though) wiring
    for 2010 Bonnie T100 in Section 8.34 of the book
    10 is not used
    9 (black and white) is neutral switch
    5 (black) is oil pressure switch
    6 & 7 (green/white and green/red) are turn signal feeds to warning lamps
    2 (black) is earth
    8 (blue/white) is main beam warning lamp
    12 (blue) goes to the ECM socket A9 and I assumed this could be the engine pulse source on the second attempt I made?
    11 (red) goes to the ECM socket B28 and I assumed this could be the engine pulse source on the first attempt I made (as table above)
    1 (purple) goes to several sources but does, in that journey, connect to fuse No. 2 in the fusebox, and seems to me then on to the alternator via the regulator?
    3 & 4 (green/red) seem only to go to the fuel pump relay and B4 of the ECM.

Speedo instrument (as listed on far left of Haynes page H47407 - not page numbered though) wiring
    for 2010 Bonnie T100 in Section 8.34 of the book
    5 not used
    3 & 4 (green/red) seem only to go to the fuel pump relay and B4 of the ECM.
    1 (purple) as Tacho (connected)
    9 (black) goes to alarm connector only
    8 (black) goes to alarm connector only
    12 (blue) as Tacho (connected)
    11 (red) as Tacho (connected)
    7 & 2 (black) earths as Tacho (connected)
    10 (black/yellow) connected to “vehicle speed sensor”
    6 not used.

WARNING
    I am a reasonably competent DIY’er, but the stuff about “CAN-bus” data transfer and anything beyond simple continuity checks with my Draper multi-tester and I start to lose the will to live.
    You might say I should know what gear I’m in, and shouldn’t need help, but I like gadgets, and I had one on my Pan European which I was very pleased with (and was able to wire up without hassle).
    Bogbrush.

Bonnie 2010 wiring LHS.jpg

Bonnie 2010 wiring RHS.jpg

5. martinl

martinl Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Cannock
    Hi

Can you send those 2 pdf's to [email protected] so I can get a decent quality print out.. Ill have a look tonight but I'm away for the weekend so may not be back to you before Tuesday.. Dont worry about a can bus, its just a data transfer between two semi intelligent devices, Im sure you will manage this easily... I'll go to the data tool site now and try to find the instructions..

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  6. martinl

martinl Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Cannock
    #6 martinl, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    OK

so as I read it
    Black to M/C neg speedo 2
    Red to M/C switched live, speedo 3 Green/Red seems to do this
    Green to Black/yellow on speedo
    Brown joins neutral cable, Black /White

All of that agrees with your first attempt

next, that yellow, engine speed, from this diag I'm strugling to say "yes A9 or yes B28" but my gut says A9 however you could also do this by giving an engine speed signal from one alternator phase simply by tapping onto any one of the three blue wires from the alternator to the regulator. Doing it this way bypasses the ecu completely and is in line with the datatool instructions.

I dont think you are far away

Martin

OK, further study, without the full ecu pinouts, I think A9 and B28 are in fact your can-bus and if so they couldnt be used as a "tap off" for the engine speed, with that in mind go for my alternator output alternative or the ecu input from the crank position sensor. (both these methods are in the data tool recommendations)
    A "can bus" consists of a pair of cables used exclusively for data transfer, and I think that's what A9 and B28 are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bogbrush48

bogbrush48 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Thank you Martin, I'm beginning to understand a bit more. Looks as though I will have to go all the way to the alternator or crank position sensor (if I can find it !). I'll send you the scans as you ask, anyway.
    Just flummoxes me to think there is no "engine pulse" wire in the back of the Tacho !

8. martinl

martinl Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Cannock
    Thanks for that Bob, now I can read it properly the cable we have both been calling A9 is in fact B27.. B27 and B28 are indeed can-bus
    A9 is in fact the blue wire from the CPS to the ecu and doesn't go to the clocks at all.

Previous information is still valid, we both simply misread the drawing and called B27 A9..

Let me know how it goes..

Martin

9. bogbrush48

bogbrush48 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Hi again Martin,
    Thanks for your assistance and advice some weeks ago. I still haven't solved it properly.
    Seems the Digigear device doesn't work ith "can-bus" es, whatever they are !
    I will get there, but don't know when.
    Many thanks and cheers