T100 2019 Chain Help

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Vectis John, Oct 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Hi -
    I have a 2019 T100. I have the issue with little adjustment left on the swing arm chain adjusters. The chain and sprockets are still very serviceable and have done 6000K. I don't want to go down the route of changing the rear sprocket and altering the gearing. So my intention was to remove a link(s) and re join the chain with a new soft rivet master link. These are readily for DID chains but not apparently for the OEM chain on the Bonneville. The chain, according to the handbook is a DID 520 VP2-T. The chain is stamped DID 520. VP chains from what I gather are sold only to manufactures and I cant find a masterlink for the DID VP2.

My question is, does anyone know if I can get a master link (rivet type) for the OEM chain on the Bonneville and if so which one is it please.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    If you've run out of adjustment are you sure the chain is serviceable if so go up one tooth on the front you won't notice on acceleration but she'll cruise better

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You are a long way from being the first to discover this! The OEM chain is marginally too long from assembly. You either need to lose a link or go up a notch on the gearbox sprocket to regain some adjustment. The chain itself has masses more life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Thanks for the reply, I want to lose a link but can’t find a soft link to re join the chain. The DID VP2 chain isn’t listed anywhere. I was wondering if anyone else has resolved this?
    I would rather not alter the gearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think you have too lose 2 links to rejoin the chain will this make it too short?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  7. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    That would probably ok but I need to source a connecting link that is compatible with the chain, I can’t find any listed.
    Thanks for this I have emailed them, it doesn’t list the DID 520 VP2-T as being available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Surely a 520 the correct length would be ok regardless of part number?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Thats what I am not sure of - DID manufacture several different ones, VX etc. I thought these would all be different in some way and that I would have to buy the exact one for the chain?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Talk to the people who listed the link I'm sure they'll see you right

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    OK - just an update should anyone come across this in the future.

I have had a very helpful reply from Wemoto. Bottom line is although the original chain on the Bonneville is a DID 520 chain (VP2, as I said) Wemoto have said DID do not list a soft rivet link for this chain, the chain itself is not available as a retail item only to manufacturers. DID do not recommend using one of their other 520 soft rivet links on this chain.
    So thanks to Triumph I am left with two options, change the front sprocket or the chain. It’s a pain in the **** as the chain is still serviceable just not enough adjustment left on the swing arm!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I don’t think there is any magic to the VP2 suffix as it merely indicates their standard O ring chain (VO) but supplied to OEM like Triumph and Kawasaki. These are supplied in bulk as continuous chains which probably explains why DiD don’t recommend’ a soft rivet. I would fit one without fretting. Done properly, the chain won’t be any the wiser.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Cheers - thanks for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Vectis John
    I went up a tooth on the front and found the bike performed great and cruised effortlessly. Haven't noticed any difference low down other than the bike pulls of nicely. It also gives the engine a rest as it is not revving as hard.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  15. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    my 18 T120 100 link chain still fit going from 37 to 41 in the rear + centered the adjuster.

16. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I agree up a tooth or 2 won't make much difference mine has been changed its not reving so high in top gear

17. Luis Escobar

Luis Escobar New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Brasil
    Wow this is crazy for me. In Brazil vo chains are indicated only for bikes under 600 CC, by the manufacturer.