Swing Arm Spool Thread Size

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by kiloechoxray, Oct 28, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kiloechoxray

kiloechoxray Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Houston Texas
    Purchased some Evotech swing arm spools for my 2007 Daytona 675 from a place called Moto Machines.

They're nice spools but the thread size of the fastener they sent me is too big.

Does anyone know what the correct fasteners size and thread pitch is for the mating holes in this vintage Daytona? I haven't found any reference to it in the manual I have. I'm guessing an M6 but I need to be sure.

Thanks.

2. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    No responses yet? Wish I had the correct answer for you. Is there an easy way to get a thread gauge on it?

3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Can you not take out an M6 screw and try it in the hole?

• Like Like x 1
  4. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    Perhaps one of the local Triumph dealership might be able to tell you the thread pitch. Or you could go buy a few metric bolts at Lowe’s and see if one of them threads in by hand. If it doesn’t go in by hand threading it’s not the correct pitch. Clean the inside a bit first so there’s no debris in the thread. Got a picture of where the bolt needs to go?

5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #5 Iceman, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    M6 from memory, any good motor factor shop should have a suitable allen key fastner in stock, although you may have to cut one to a suitable length, if you choose stainless bolts then use a very small amount of anti seize compound, due to the stainless steel and alloy that would otherwise cause the 2 metals to fuse together (a chemical reaction), the copperslip prevents this taking place, the trick is a minuscule amount. Hope this helps and ride safe all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kiloechoxray

kiloechoxray Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Houston Texas
    Yep, I remembered I had a small amount of long M6s from a completely unrelated project - tried one out and sure enough, correct thread. So I just cut a few, beveled the ends and they're working fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Like Like x 2