Swearing - Creating a family safe forum

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rob, Feb 12, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Just a short one here and a simple request:

Work safe and family safe pictures, swearing and trolling

Just a quick heads up on some threads that we often have on the forum and a reminder of what is not acceptable to be posted here. Mature picture content is not permitted on the forum. Swearing and personal insults are not permitted. Here’s an idea of what constitutes mature content:

Swearing
    Strategically covered nudity
    Sheer or see-through clothing
    Lewd or provocative poses
    Close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches

Any posts that do not adhere to these guidelines will be removed and a possible ban.

Thanks for your understanding.

Rob.

• Like Like x 8
  2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #2 P19DJG, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Hi Rob & welcome to the forum.

Oooops! My bad, just realised you are Admin, with a massive forum contributing 34 posts!

Blimey! If you delete every post that contains "mature content" there will be **** all worth reading left. But hey, its your place so your rules.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Any chance of fixing the 'Likes' button?

• Like Like x 3
  4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    In all fairness Rob you have to take into account that this is a Bike forum and some of us are a bit rough around the edges, we are all pretty much grown ups here and there has to be some banter which will include swearing.

Cheers

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wudy

Wudy New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    Bristol
    This seems to be a common thing on bike/car forums. Admins forget that children don't hold car or bike licences...

• Like Like x 2
  6. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I am reminded of Eastenders for some reason. You know, the soap based in the east end of London where no-one ever swears.....

• Like Like x 2
  7. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I'm afraid I have to agree with the Admin on this one.

I'm new here and joined because I bought a triumph, I have been careful what I have posted as I want to fit in etc, but felt that some members may start altering my posts by quoting and changing words round into something rude or lewd.

I like a laugh as much as anyone, but when the thread goes off topic and turns into profanities it just puts you off posting in the first place

We are here to talk bikes at the end of the day. Anyway just my opinion.

• Like Like x 6
  8. gregster

gregster New Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Completely agree with this.....in the real world I have been known to use some "choice" language verbally, depending on company.....however, I object to use of it on here cos, you never know "who is in the room" ...... its the bikes, bikers and what we do with them that's of interest to me...not our capability in offensive rhetoric....keep it clean folks!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    I also like the family safe forum, tbh, there's not many about, I also go on another biker forum, but sometimes things get out of hand and way off topic with people who just curse and swear.... I can go out with my mates to the pub, and swear no probs with the rest of them, but I wouldn't do it out loud going down the street or in the supermarket.... There's a time and place for everything, this forum makes a nice change, just my tuppence worth :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  10. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Been off line for a while so catching up with posts (which is taking about a year) and this is the first time I've seen this one. I'm in two minds about this - it's early days for the site and I'd like it to take off but I guess it's in the hands of Rob and Steve as to which direction they want it to take. I'm gutted that Dunc's been banned (again) and I think that the site will lose a big something with his absence. As it's a site for bikers, to me that means people with a licence to ride a bike, hence people over the age of 17? I'm guessing that 100% of folks of that age will have heard all of the words used and at least 50% will have seen all of the bits usually covered by underwear of the opposite (or same, if that's your bag) sex? If it's meant to be just another technical site for Triumph owners, fair enough, I'll bow out now as there are plenty of them already that I don't subscribe to. If it's meant to be a site for kids, ditto. If it's meant to be a community, which at the moment I feel that it is, then parameters have to be thought about before they're set. I understand that folks have technical and biker community queries that need answering but I can't think of any that haven't been addressed either prior to or mid banter. Just sayin'...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Nov 15, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    It sucks without Pig!

• Like Like x 2
  12. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I also like this forum because it wasn't the Triumph Rat forum (Stuck Up) and I could not see an issues with what Duncan had put on. He never posted anything that actually had a go at anyone, it was all banter and not nasty.
    I get enough of this PC rubbish at work and it is good to have a place were you can play silly buggers now and again as well as try and help the guys on the forum out (which I try to do).

Cheers All

Steve

• Like Like x 4
  13. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    For me it's not a big thing (fnarr fnarr) but an outright ban on swearing or whatever is a little heavy handed imo. It's a biking site and I expect it to be a bit "rough around the edges" (as someone said earlier). The idea that it's a "family friendly" place is somewhat misplaced. I really can't imagine kids joining in :wink: In any case they'll have seen and heard far worse on their smart phones than a bunch of old tossers (apologies to the young tossers) throwing a few fucks around.

Then again as Brybem said it's down to the moderators and the guys who run the site to set the rules. If folks don't agree then they won't use the site which would be a pity.

• Like Like x 3
  14. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    #14 JACKO, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    For me it wasn't the swearing that bothered me, I swear like a gud un and enjoy good banter .

What got out of hand was when someone would post a thread say " I changed my footrests"

Then this post would be quoted and altered to something like " I changed my gay partner"

Okay only a bit fun some would argue, but a bit tiresome when you are just interested in the footrests.

Why don't the site have an adult content section that members can talk on, but only accessible by a special password from the mods?

• Like Like x 5
  15. Andy59

Andy59 Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Dunstable Beds
    I'm with you on that one Jacko, I stopped posting for a while.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    I see everyone's point and understand what the admins are trying to get at but I think Dunc said the right thing in the post that got him banned and his post and mine deleted- If Steve aka CC had made the post and not a nearly unknown member/admin to many named Rob it may have been taken differently? Steve joins in and gave advice and banter - seems a top bloke
    I also fed up with posts & quotes being changed but ended up doing the same thing myself as there were so few new posts... I tried to start some new posts so we could enjoy discussions and maybe taking the proverbial out of ourselves but it soon went downhill.
    Coming on the forum is your choice of whether you look,post and comment - simple.
    Cheers all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    But my point, I feel, is still valid - is there a post where (using your example) the reference to the footrests wasn't answered sensibly pre-banter?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    #18 Richard H, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Yep agree with what your saying, it was the altering of posts and the way serious threads were taken off theme so quickly that pissed me off most. Think Duncan / pig / and his several other names had a lot to offer the forum but he just pushed it too far. As for Rob saying its got to be family friendly I'm not sure I agree with that either; surely there is some middle ground here? How many kids are going to be on a motorbike forum? It would be nice that that the forum is welcoming to new members and that they are not put off by one or two crude remarks right at the start, after all look how many new members registered, said hello than that was it.

I've been hanging around on this forum for quite a time and may be the oldest active member, hoping it would develop like the linked Ducati forum where I'm still registered: they have a massive membership compared to ours and unless we can encourage new members to stay and make contributions without the fear of ridicule, then the forum will never be a success.

Think Steve (CC) has done a great job of getting the forum moving as well as perhaps shifting a bit of carbon :smile: Before Steve this place was dead and it could be a week or two weeks between posts. Think things are getting going now and would encourage new members to stick around and contribute.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Bry

Posts were always answered pre banter sensibly as you say, and guys like yourself and many others that own the bikes we are talking about always help folks that post a query etc.

I really appreciate the knowledge you share and thanks for that.

My point was that it soon went off topic and put me off posting any thing further on a post. It always seemed to go to word twisting on whatever topic was being shared.

I'm still new here and trying to fit in, its a great shame that a member got banned. I have to admit I replied on a few things that were close to the bone with the rules, I perhaps shouldn't have done, just because I wanted to fit in.

I don't intend to cause offense to you or anyone else by being opposed to what has happened.

Cheers Pete

• Like Like x 1
  20. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    I think everyone has good views on this topic and yes it's a shame it got out of hand at times. When I was given the opportunity to become admin of the forum there were just over 80 members and less than ten active I sort to really push hard and get the forum of the ground. For those that don't know about a year ago (a few months after becoming an admin) I was worried that the banter and other comments were getting so out of control that even I didn't want to post here, even though I was working desperately hard getting members to join, only to see the members numbers tumble. I banned Pig and another member then to try and gain some kind of control back and to increase the forum members. In that time numbers increased massively and it showed that as much as we all love banter (in the right places) most people prefer to keep on topic of what they post. I personally like Duncan, he's even a friend on my Facebook but he dug his own grave and got himself banned again! I'm sure he's here reading these posts and appreciates the comments.

I think Jacko's idea is good about having an adult only thread but these forums are not free and they do have their own rules that even the forum owners have to abide by so I'll check to see if it's firstly possible to have a thread only accessible by a password and what content can or can't be used.

I do believe this forum has huge potential and like Richard H mentioned it could/should be as big or bigger than it's Ducati sister site. So thank you to all of those who have joined and the members who been here from the beginning.

To those who visit the forum and are not members, please do join and help make this the best there is.

Ride safe guys & thank you

Steve CC

• Like Like x 7