Swapping The Awful Handle Bars For A Set Of Sls Flat Trackers

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Cupoftea, Aug 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Took time off work, (didn't I need that) and started to remove all sundries to fit the SLS Flat Tracker bars.
    First came off was the tank, first time I've attempted this.
    The fuel line clip was confusing, you have to pull the clip out and then squeeze the sides to remove it.
    I read that you have to turn the engine over to release the pressure in the line, did that without it firing as the clutch cable was disconnected, and managed to lift off the connector.
    Tank off and now to explore the brake hose. This is not that straight forward, the brake hose may look conventional but it goes from flexi to solid hose which is plastic coated right down to the ABS unit.
    Options are remove the whole hose and replace it with a Goodrich type hose of the required length, fiddely at best or add a hose to the system via a connector and you have all the flexibility you need!
    I made up a bracket to enable me to add a hose to the system and mount it to the headlight bracket which holds the indicator on.
    So, now waiting for Tuesday to get the bracket tigged and to now remove the controls as soon as I have found the small Torx keys.
    I also found a guy that has done this to a T100 and he has used the original brake hose but moved it to the right side of the headstock, bent the ridged hose to suit and bent the union to get a better line.
    Personally I will try to keep all the hose as is, it may require a coil round to fit but I think it won't Disturb the OE side of things.
    He also gave you the part number for a clutch cable which is 2" longer to use. I bought one and in the assembly will use as the OE is too short.
    The electric cables apparently are long enough to handle the extra length to the bars, all you need to do is add a couple of slugs in the end if you want to fit bar end mirrors.
    The standard bars in my mind are too narrow, also give me aching shoulders but the SLS bars look very much like the export Bonnies from the 70's which do tick the box.
    Next I will include the pictures and assembly of the new bars so you can get an idea on how to fit some.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Day 2.
    Handle bar controls, started with the left one (Clutch side)I removed the cover that holds the button for the heated grips, then 2 small m4 screws hold the grip in place.I loosened the main control cluster and fish out the heated grip connector.
    Then remove the screws and layer it over the clocks.
    Right side, looked a bit more involved but was as easy as the left. Only thing different was the throttle which is a bit fiddly but all was well. Before that I took the master cylinder lid off and with a syringe removed all the brake fluid and wiped clean.
    Then removed the hose bolt and had ready a plastic threaded boss to which I bolted the lot together saving as much oil in the hose.
    Now the fun bit! I wrapped some thick paper around the OE bars and taped it all up. With a scalpel I cut out the holes and labeled top uppermost and left and right (you never know!!).
    Got the new bars on the bike and positioned the correct place I wanted them to be and slid on the templates. Marked them out and cut away.
    You don't have to be exactly the correct gaps etc , bigger the better!
    Worse ones could have been the m4 holes but I used the grip to mark them out. Was amazed how badly the OE bars were for straightness, an apprentice could have done a better job, plus one of the screws came out stripped of the peaks so added a new S/S one.
    I used to cut the holes a hacksaw, cordless drill, and my high speed grinder which was a blessing.
    Next paint the metal with primer and refit.
    Went together very well and was pleased with the results.
    Clutch cable, it was 2 inches longer than stock, one from a Speedster I believe (T2042574), went on perfect, like it was made for the job.
    Final things to do is get the bracket welded for the hose connections, make two end plugs for the bars and glue them in.
    Ordered the hose from Goodrich, that may take a week so could be on hold until then.

IMG_20200831_150100.jpg

IMG_20200831_142316.jpg

IMG_20200831_141807.jpg

IMG_20200831_141711.jpg

IMG_20200831_140513.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Excellent job mate :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Day 3,
    Ordered the brake hose to finally couple the lines up. May take a few days to arrive.
    Next I turned up some white Acetal to act as bar ends for the covers. Angled them as the OE and tapped them in.
    Next I fitted the bar end mirrors which then clamp tightly around the bar adding extra grip for the plastic.
    Had welded the bracket to abstract the 2 hoses and now it's all ready to receive the new hose.

IMG_20200901_100237.jpg

IMG_20200901_103429.jpg

IMG_20200901_103849.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Finally after phoning the Company that make the brake hoses received the said hose.
    Not the one I wanted as I placed a special order for a shorter one in black, as the delivery time was 10 days, I couldn't wait any longer and he posted a standard slightly longer one in the post. Thanks to Royal Mail that sent out to the wrong sorting office got it the next day.
    Bled the brakes and finally refitted the battery, tank and seat and she'e good to go. Pictures tomorrow as I'm now having a celebratory drink. Been all week on various bikes this week as I had a bike in storage for 13 years and had to get it back on the road as its been there too long instead of being on. the road where she belongs.
    I think I'll have to sell a couple as the work is a lot for me to do even taking a couple of weeks off to do it, I still haven't finished what I set out to do!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Well the first ride was the best ever, just like is should have been. See pics. Think you'll agree best looking with the bars higher.

IMG_20200910_112834.jpg

IMG_20200910_113446.jpg

IMG_20200910_113454.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yep that does look good :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    #8 Cupoftea, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Thanks, I've just come back from an 80 mile bike ride, they are a brilliant set, hardly any vibes, less than the standard. Really nice position when flicking through the bends. Really pleased. Wish I could say the same about the Hagon shocks?

• Like Like x 2
  9. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    They look really nice, and a good write up on the fitting. I am looking for alternative bars as I get the same shoulder ache; if I lean forward I get wrist ache (old fart!).
    I went to the LSL site but it's a bit rubbish about product info. No dimensions are given for bar width, rise or pullback. I can see that yours have more rise, but how much more than the oem ones? Do they have more pullback too, if so how much? And how much wider are they. Could you give us the numbers please.

Anyone else fitted higher, wider bars with more pullback, which ones and did they work?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    This is the ebay number for the bars.
    There are dimensions on the second picture. Really nice bars and less vibes than standard.